Thought experiment about coffee roasting - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
boar_d_laze

#11: Post by boar_d_laze »

although the particles will still expand, I doubt they would pop. Will there be a second crack?
Are "expansion," and/or the second crack mere artifacts or are they actual components of the chemical changes that must occur for coffee to taste like good coffee?
Yes but only within the Higgs field.
I don't know about the restriction. A lot of fields would probably work, for instance anywhere you can grow alfalfa. As always, it's a question of fertilizer.

BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

sversimo

#12: Post by sversimo »

So, whos sacrificing their grinder and roaster to get to bottom of this?

I think the biggest problem would be the huge surface area you'd create by grinding the beans. If anything you should try and make a bigger coffee bean, not smaller. The magic happens inside the bean.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

I've thought about trying to run some greens through my GrindMaster once I get it back together, and roasting either in a toaster oven just to see if the coffee cracks or in a pan, there's no way I could roast ground green coffee in my grid drum Behmor, it would all just fall out and lay on the floor of the roaster.

I guess I could try to just pulverize some green coffee with a hammer or try a mortar and pestle, but right now I'm more excited about working on my roasting of whole green coffee so it's a low priority.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

weebit_nutty

#14: Post by weebit_nutty »

It won't crack..as long as it's a thought experiment :)

Do you think this will ruin a ceramic but grinder? I figure I could try with my hario mini...i figure you could grind peppercorns in it and aren't those seeds pretty hard?
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

boar_d_laze

#15: Post by boar_d_laze replying to weebit_nutty »

A ten buck, blade grinder -- something you can clean with a piece of bread and a paper towel, and actually use for grinding spices down the line -- is a better choice than your Hario.

But before grinding any beans, ask yourself two questions:
  • Does ground rib eye taste the same as rib eye steak? And,
  • What role does steam play in the pyrolitic reactions which occur during (whole bean) coffee roasting in creating coffee taste?
BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

cygnusx1

#16: Post by cygnusx1 »

boar_d_laze wrote:But before grinding any beans, ask yourself if ground rib eye tastes the same as rib eye steak.
BDL
That pretty much sums it up for me... Now I want a rib eye. Or just ribs...

dustin360

#17: Post by dustin360 »

Green coffee is super hard, and not brittle at all. I've ground it to cup before, but with my dads grinder not mine. I made sure the grinder was running before throwing the beans in and even then the motor strained pretty bad. They did grind though.... I'm going to figure out a way to run this experiment, but it seems like the roasting/roaster is the hardest part of this. I suppose stove top with a pan is the best/easiest solution?

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster »

weebit_nutty wrote:It won't crack..as long as it's a thought experiment :)
I don't expect to see a first crack, but you may still get second crack, if you go that far, when the cell walls break down, assuming that there's still intact cell walls in the first place.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

stoned_survival (original poster)

#19: Post by stoned_survival (original poster) »

Wonderful!! I didn't imagine this would gain so much interest. Would love to hear from you guys if you manage to try it out. I will try it out as well as soon as i get my hands on an electric grinder. I only have a Porlex as of now and doubt that would be able to grind greens.

On another note - don't think the beans will crack. Also agree that the steam build-up during the roast process has a lot to do with the taste of coffee as we know it. But then, who knows! We might strike gold :D

dustin360

#20: Post by dustin360 »

Im pretty sure the beans will not crack at all. Ive roasted coffee with a thermocouple drilled into the center of a bean before(in a popper). I repeated this process a few times, and the beans I drilled a small hole in either didnt crack, or had a very weak crack. So i image grinding them down to small pieces means no crack will happen... But! I dont know for sure, so Ill have to test it. Im pretty positive im not going to end up with a delicious cup, but stupid/awesome experiments like this make me happy... :D

*wait... why is this supposed to yield a better cup? Hmm... I guess ill still do it...