Theta Ridge Bob O Link - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Vince_in_Montreal

#21: Post by Vince_in_Montreal »

jevenator wrote:Take a look at the top of his graph specifically the ROR's as he goes through the stages of the roast.
Oh ok interesting, where is the option to add that to my profile In artisan and is there a generally accepted target for that?

jevenator

#22: Post by jevenator replying to Vince_in_Montreal »

I can't say I know any more. I'm figuring it out myself as well :D

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#23: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Config>Statistics - various check boxes on top line.

I assume Mike is speaking to the ROR average in each phase.

For starting out I suggest your focus be on time in phases.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

EddyQ

#24: Post by EddyQ »

mkane wrote:A bit of a ride but, closer to 30/20/10f and didn't break that 500 deg. barrier. I did taste this and got more spice than cheap chocolate. Nice aroma.
Nice profile (of what I can see behind the table of numbers). Did you happen to measure moisture loss? I typically go with a bit more development which results in roughly 14% ML. This coffee, with its attractive aroma is usually a crowd pleaser amongst folks that are not serious coffee enthusiasts. It holds up to milk very well and my go too when I have guests visit.
LMWDP #671

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Moisture loss 13.7% This coffee get chocolatey real fast. Dropped at a moderate 405 f and I can drink it. This is a far better roast than the others. We don't have any milk in the house.

jtbenson

#26: Post by jtbenson »

looking for some help translating your artisan sweet spot profiles to my humble sr800 please...
please forgive my novice description below and let me know if any further clarification is needed.

so, i roasted two 200g batches of the bob 'o link back to back a few days ago, the first a little lighter than the second. by this i mean maybe a minute longer from the 8 minute mark on before starting the cooling cycle, all other adjustments through the cycles the same as per below

---1-2 minutes: fan on 7-8, heat on 1-2
---3-4 minutes: heat raised to 3-4, adjust fan down only if beans "jumping"
---4-7:30 minutes: raise heat to 7 and lower fan variably to keep color change consistent and smooth rolling and hope for first crack around 6:30-7:30
---7:30 to cooling cycle: adjust fan to keep smooth, consistent roll, leave heat at 7 as long as bean color is changing consistently.
in this case, heat was left at 7 from 4:00 to cool and i was happy with the bean color consistency at the end

the flavors are markedly different.
as mentioned by others, i got a lot of sweet aromas during roast, syrup, caramel etc. and after second batch my entire lower basement (where i roast) smelled just like almond croissants, so I totally relate to the previous poster's wife's "toasty" description.
yesterday was third day post roast and i pulled shots of both batches. the first (lighter) one had the "pastry" taste and the second (slightly darker) had what i would describe as a more typical dark chocolate taste. i was hoping for one of them to have more of the "syrupy sweetness" you are describing. i'll see how they both develop over the coming days, but in the meantime...
mike, could you maybe translate your favorite artisan profile thus far to layman's terms of how such a profile might translate to the basic two variable control of only fan speed and heat on my freshroast, i.e., any suggestions of things i could change in the cycle above to mimic your favorite artisan variables thus far?
any suggestions greatly appreciated.
i'm trying to get the hang of reading these artisan graphs myself, but i am self-admittedly, not very visual data savvy.
"the best thing about that coffee was the cup"
-Tadej Pogačar

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I don't have a clue how a fluidbed roaster reacts, that is if your unit is a fluidbed design, to air settings. I would imagine you nee lot's of it to keep beans aloft.

That being said, my settings have also changes in the last month and I now use a higher charge temp and lower maximum gas setting due to the fact I believe the drum was getting to hot and scorching the beans.

I also believe dry times have a big impact on the rest of the roast. When I was using low charge temps and high heat settings to keep dry @ 4 minutes the middle phase was way off the mark and in the machine we use the ROR would fall apart in the development phase.

I'm still trying to find the magic numbers our machine behaves best at and were creeping up on it. That said when I do I'll stick with those settings and let the beans dictate body & taste. 30/20/10f are my RoR numbers I'm shooting for.

Probably not of much help. I'm still learning with every roast. Keep your ears open and invite criticism. No roast is perfect.

Chert

#28: Post by Chert »

I will study this thread a bit more as I get into the Bob O Link coming to me.
LMWDP #198

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Ordered more myself. Gave most of it away.