Sweet Maria's Kenya Nyeri Ichuga Factory

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jevenator

#1: Post by jevenator »

Link to coffee

Figured since quite a bit of us got this coffee we can have a thread for it. I had my go at it yesterday and brewed a aeropress this morning.

I thought I was hearing little snaps about 25-20 seconds before I marked FC so I'm thinking those were maybe the smaller beans and during that ROR spike which I tend to get on smaller batches at FC is when I decided to officially label it. This is a lighter than usual roast and the flavor from my 98mm HU is very bright and intense almost a little bit too aggressive on the palate if you're not ready for a bright Kenyan cup which I feel like has been missing for a while. Tart fruit and sweet lemonade is how I guess I would describe it. Not sure if there is a winey note in there this time around but hopefully it's going to change for the better in these next couple of days.

I also have: Kenya Kiambu Fram Farm AB, Kenya Kiambu Fram Farm AA, Kenya Nyeri Ichuga AA. Very interesting to pair the AA vs AB and Ichuga AA and Ichuga Factory

Rickpatbrown

#2: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Here's my first attempt. I pulled back a bit too much heat in the second phase. I was biting my nails through 1stC, just waiting for the ROR to go negative. Hence the heat application at the very end and the inevitable flick from such an action. :roll:

It's not too difficult of a bean. It's not as big and hard as some other Kenya's I've had, but it's still a big ole Kenya

Cupping note will follow in a day or so ... Just took a whiff and I'm looking forward to this sucker!

12 hrs post roast: 26:415 g V60 205°F water
Pretty good. Standard Kenya savory/brightness. Great body and sweetness for a 12 hrs old coffee. I tend to underdeveloped Kenyas and this one is just slightly with a grapefruit sourness. It is more developed than I would have suspected based on my roast profile.

This should be nice if an imperfect roast produces good coffee so easily. Cant wait to nail the roast.

Rickpatbrown

#3: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Updated the above post with tasting notes.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by LBIespresso »

Finally got around to roasting this one today. I tried cutting the heat at the end and quickly shut it off after lowering it didn't do the trick. I will try to account for this in the next roast as well as report back with cupping notes.

Actually, looking at this it looks like this would be a good candidate for a gas dip.
LMWDP #580

Rickpatbrown

#5: Post by Rickpatbrown »

LBIespresso wrote: Actually, looking at this it looks like this would be a good candidate for a gas dip.
I have not found a bean yet that couldnt be tamed with heat reductions earlier on.

I'm finding that reductions before DE do very little to change dry times, but they effect 2nd and 3rd phase.

Reducing my charge to 325 has made this even more clear. I think 350 is a little easier to steer in the end since it can absorb more of the heat.

These observations arent specific to this Kenya though.

olutheros

#6: Post by olutheros »

My first shot at this last week:

I erred on the side of a little more development and going a little bit slower (H60 here is 3.0kPa) than I might do next time, but it behaved very nicely and came out sweet and pleasant. Gave most away but saved a bit to try when it's had more time to rest, berry flavors seemed good initially.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by LBIespresso »

Just cupped it 2 days post roast as well as doing a pour-over (Origami) about 12 hours post roast.

With the pour-over I was surprised at how dark the roast tasted. On my RoastVision it was a 21 which converts to an Agtron of 82. Still good but it didn't really shine. It left me looking forward to trying it as espresso in 5 days or so.

Cupping it today showed more potential. Lime upfront with a blackberry finish. It was more complex than that but that was all that I could identify. I am looking forward to drawing out more sweetness. I also am looking forward to seeing how this does with some more rest as the pour-over was super gassy.
Rickpatbrown wrote:I have not found a bean yet that couldnt be tamed with heat reductions earlier on.

I'm finding that reductions before DE do very little to change dry times, but they effect 2nd and 3rd phase.
I will give this a try. I may not do so on my next attempt but I definitely will and do appreciate the advice of those with more experience...so thank you!
LMWDP #580

STG

#8: Post by STG »

olutheros wrote:My first shot at this last week:

I erred on the side of a little more development and going a little bit slower (H60 here is 3.0kPa) than I might do next time, but it behaved very nicely and came out sweet and pleasant. Gave most away but saved a bit to try when it's had more time to rest, berry flavors seemed good initially.
Liking all the Huky roasters in this thread. My curves end up looking a lot like yours except I usually charge at 400F and I noticed you increased the gas right at 1C, then dropped down shortly after.

Is that something you usually do? What are your gas settings in kpa?

Edit: I just realized another member mentioned this term: is that a gas dip in action?

olutheros

#9: Post by olutheros replying to STG »

haha yeah that was the goal, to briefly decrease (in hopes of avoiding a plateau/rise right before first crack) and then come back up to a level that can take me through the first minute or so of first crack without it crashing. actually doing that on a bean you've never roasted before is tricky tho

and on that curve the "60" max is 3.0kPA, 40 is 2.0, 20 1.0. i need to change my settings and get it to just list the kpas

jevenator (original poster)

#10: Post by jevenator (original poster) »

I realized that most of my roasts are equal % drying and malliards. Is this a "no no"?

To get the same drying (approx) and a shorter malliards and a downwards ROR I would need to decrease my charge temperature and start with a higher power, right?

I feel like 9 days post roast my Kenyan has lost it's jazz and is a bit boring and slightly too drying in the mouth.