Sweet Maria's Kenya Nyeri Ichuga Factory - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by mkane »

I shoot for 45/35/20% but who's to say if it's right.

18gramssf

#12: Post by 18gramssf »

I accidently crashed mine after first crack as it was holding heat pretty well and didn't move much on earlier adjustments. Trying it 4 days post roast in a chemex and it's still absolutely wonderful. I also had it as espresso 3 days post roast and it was a bit light on body for me. I only got a 5lb bag and wish I had gotten more! Quite a forgiving coffee to roast.

Advertisement
GC7

#13: Post by GC7 »

My second roast of this bean turned out well. The first roast was gifted after I reported in the greens thread that the profile was flawed and the coffee had promise none the less. My neighbors liked it :-)

As brewed coffee (espro press) this second roast is really outstanding though I could have dropped a touch earlier to avoid the little IBTS probe flick at the end.. This roast after a few days rest has just enough citric-like acidity to balance what I perceive to be dark berries and yes a winey grape dominant flavor profile. This roast is not intensely sweet but has more than enough to balance everything else and finish with a pleasing aftertaste. YUM!! 401* drop temperature is light in my experience with the Bullet but this roast is balanced and has more body and depth than I expect with a truly light roast. It's light by the numbers but I perceive it as more developed. I'm sure one can go lighter or darker which is where I will explore this next. I predict great coffee at Full City. Espresso tomorrow.

hudsterboy

#14: Post by hudsterboy »

I've been using this bean to learn the particulars of my new Bullet roaster. It's been a little bit of a challenge. Somehow I missed this thread and I'm so glad I found it, as It's really validated my experience with it so far.

I don't remember much from the first roast. It was literally the first after seasoning the drum, and I was just winging it without the software, trying to get used to the controls. It didn't come out too bad though, so I probably just got lucky.

The second roast was severe. It was super sour/tart. Really un-drinkable. I guess I didn't develop it enough. If I recall, I undid the yellow mark by mistake, and added it back, definitely guessing.

3rd roast, I tried to control the ROR and it ends up all over the place. I noticed that it would jump up at around 6m, and drop after 1c. It was nowhere near as sour, and I was able to get more development. This was my wife's favorite, but I thought it was still too bright.

The 4th I tried to get more control of the ROR, but I end up just flattening it. had more body and some heavier (coco, dark berry) flavors , but it also had a kind of dull burnt taste. I actually preferred this one, especially after about a week when the more outstanding unpleasant characteristics faded.

I'm still learning. I'm thinking that I should either a higher charge temp, or at a higher drum temp. I have plenty (10lb) left to play with, and I'm doing 400G batches, so hopefully I'll get this down. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears!

mkane
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by mkane »

Overall time looks good. Maybe a higher charge temp and a bigger decrease after 320°f

hudsterboy

#16: Post by hudsterboy »

Here's my latest. I'm not sure what happened. I think in my attempt to maintain a declining ROR I panicked at the end and dumped the beans earlier than I wanted. I have a hard time hearing 1c with this one, and was struggling to hear the start and end, for sure. Anyway, the overall time and temp are too short/low, but I guess we'll see.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by JohnB. »

Forgot I'd bought this one until I saw the thread today. Did one Full City roast last July with espresso in mind but that's pretty much forgotten outside of thinking I'd try for a longer development time next roast. I'll have to dig through the greens freezer & pull out a lb.
LMWDP 267

Advertisement
mkane
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by mkane »

hudsterboy, that last roast might not taste too bad.

hudsterboy

#19: Post by hudsterboy replying to mkane »

That about describes it, lol. "not bad". It was definitely better, but for me, it's still too acidic. I roasted it again last week and it's pretty close to the previous 1/31 roast. I was attempting to get rid of that flat point just before 1C, to see if I could sweeten it up, but mostly just ended up moving things around. I I'm drinking it right now, and it's still too intense. Lots of citrus and a sort of peppery finish. Very unusual. I'm going to roast it again today with the same inputs, but go to the end of 1C.

I'm also roasting a natural Ethiopian that is so much easier, and comes out great, but I'm giving all my attention to the Kenyan. It's like having kids. :lol:

mkane
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by mkane »

Some beans are like that. Ethiopians give me fits. Centrals are easy to roast. Maybe lower initial gas setting to get dry near 4:30. This might help stretch the middle a bit and get bean temps heading more downhill and avoid the flat spot.