Storing 25-50 kg coffee greens - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Boldjava »

warlock wrote:Hey Mate...

Essence being - longer stored might intensify the flavor profile. Would you have any experience with this? Any comments / suggestions?
With due respect to your closely associated coffee growers, my experience indicates the complete opposite. I wouldn't sink $600 into those anecdotes but it's clearly your call.

Easy experiment. Save 5 kilos; cup the coffee and write down the score and descriptors. Roast and cup a kilo 12 mos. from now, 18 mos from now, and at 24 mos, with cupping score and descriptors. Compare. Do this with one other good cupper to minimize your own bias.
-----
LMWDP #339

Almico
Supporter ★

#22: Post by Almico »

warlock wrote:Essence being - longer stored might intensify the flavor profile. Would you have any experience with this? Any comments / suggestions?
I try not to make claim to anything where I do not have personal experience, but I will say that is the first time I have ever heard that coffee flavor intensifies with age.

For my business I try to use current crop only and buy accordingly. Since I'm roasting gradually aging coffee throughout the year, it is hard to tell when a particular coffee starts to fade. But I have saved small batches of really great coffee far beyond their "best by" date. From my limited experience, very sweet, aromatic and acidic coffee becomes cardboard after two years.

learncoffee

#23: Post by learncoffee »

There is this article from a few years ago about a "coffee shop" in Japan that aged their beans:
https://tokyocoffee.org/2016/05/29/cafe-de-lambre/

It seemed like aging beans is a hit/miss endeavor.

Boldjava
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by Boldjava » replying to learncoffee »

I have read articles about this gent before.

We could ask Warlock to age his for 40 years like Mr Ichiro and give us a report!
-----
LMWDP #339

warlock (original poster)

#25: Post by warlock (original poster) » replying to Boldjava »

Hahah 40 years, that's just too much to ask :P

Ps. I did hear the stuff about sweet /fruity beans loose some of that profile over time. Again this is just out of YouTube videos, not a personal experience.

None the less, this discussion was really helpful. Thanks guys