Stopping roast during early First Crack? - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by Chert »

Rickpatbrown wrote:You are roasting pretty quick? Is this the Huky? What is your batch size?
Huky.
For most coffees including these, 360 g.
Do you think more low and slow develops a light roast better?
What tips do you have for the flavorful coffees I know you have recently had from Ecuador, Colombia, Yemen, Guatemala? Do you roast them City, City+ or like this pre City(? is that a term?)
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.

Rickpatbrown

#42: Post by Rickpatbrown » replying to Chert »

Maybe you're thinking of someone else, unfortunately I havent messed with anything that fun, lately!

I really have no idea how to pull off such light roasts. My gut tells me that you have to cook the inside of the bean and that will require longer times at lower temps. A couple members mentioned that they were able to get fully developed light roasts. I'd love to hear their strategies.

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by Brewzologist »

Flint; I played with extending Maillard on my Huky awhile ago but kept my dev the same; around FC+15F. To do that I ran the Maillard phase a bit flatter on the RoR decline. I found the long Maillard to be more muted in the cup with that approach so quit doing it. But I'm curious to see what you find here with roasting even lighter.

Rickpatbrown

#44: Post by Rickpatbrown »

I'm not sure if "Scandinavian" style and stopping in 1stC are synonymous... but this thread has a lot of good stuff

Scandinavian roast profile

Chert
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by Chert »

Good tip. The profile of the webinar that Almico posted has more time in Maillard, slowing down the momentum and then holding to a 51 sec develop and 206 C drop. Good food for thought. i'll have to lookat that profile again.

akirapuff

#46: Post by akirapuff »

when people say more time in maillard phase, what does that mean? More higher temp held throughout?

Chert
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by Chert » replying to akirapuff »

The time it takes to go from yellowing to first crack (see definitions below if needed*) will stretch if less heat is applied during that phase and perhaps if less heat is driving the drying phase. Higher heat applications would shorten the time it takes to get to 1C

*After yellowing before first crack aka ramp aka maillard. If I understand correctly maillard is not a great name for that part of the roast because the reactions of sugars with that name have started but with onset of first crack they are still occurring. The crack comes on when the inner temp of the beans causes enough gases escaping expansion to crack open the matrix of the coffee seed.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
akirapuff

#48: Post by akirapuff »

ah perfectly understood thanks!