Stopping roast during early First Crack? - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jevenator

#31: Post by jevenator »

So in regards to my 2 roasts that I posted.

It's been almost 3 full days since I roasted on Mar 29. Still early but I had an itch to cup for a while now.

The two most pronounced differences between Fast and the Long Malliards is the presence of sparkling acidity. The fast one wins here. In terms of the intensity of the acidity the fast roast would be at an 8 out of 10 and the long one would be a 6 out of 10. I would describe the acidity as white grape with a bit of cranberry notes.

IMO for a Kenyan coffee I would prefer the first one for that bright cup of filter coffee. In my experience, espresso tends to bring out more of acidity so the long mal one might be excellent for a SO espresso that's not too overwhelming.

The body, sweetness, complexity, for the green coffee I had laying around for a while now is all pretty similar between the two roasts.

User avatar
Chert
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by Chert »

The Aida Batlle selection washed I pulled as espresso every few days and the last smidge was blended into a cup yesterday. It remained sweetnsour without pop of fruit. I would say not my favorite roast of that coffee, but not a string of sinkshots, either.
jevenator wrote:So in regards to my 2 roasts that I posted.
Those profiles were real short in Maillard and real long, respectively.

I still want to try 4:3.5: and then drop during first crack to see about the really light take this thread seems to be about. And do so with coffee of Kenya.

I will add profiles of two recent roasts of coffees of Kenya.



I don't know if I really need to shorten the first phase, and since I wish to extend Maillard and drop at this temperature or a bit lower with short development time, I won't try to shorten first phase. Of the two coffees, the espresso are sweet and sour in a really good way, but I don't think the grapefruit acidity is how I would describe them
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
User avatar
Chert
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by Chert »

Today's stab:
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.

STG

#34: Post by STG » replying to Chert »

This one is interesting. :44 of dev time with an increase of 5C? I would usually think that would lead to underdevelopment especially hitting 1C just after 7:00. What are your thoughts and experiences with a roast like this?

User avatar
Chert
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by Chert »

I am trying to roast with drop earlier in first crack for the drop. I have been going 1:15 to 1:30 so near end of 1C but this thread got me interested again in very light roasts. Like these Kenyan greens other coffees I have presently have flavors I want to develop in the roast and not lose in further caramelization. In other words I'm roasting and hopefully learning. If it's not a hit maybe I should recalibrate my target and order some KUMA. I'd like to be able to hit a flavorful and flawless light roast like I've had from KUMA, just not sure how it's done.
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.

User avatar
Chert
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by Chert »

STG wrote:This one is interesting. :44 of dev time with an increase of 5C? I would usually think that would lead to underdevelopment especially hitting 1C just after 7:00. What are your thoughts and experiences with a roast like this?
Also I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread that I am trying for 4/ 3.5 / :45 for the roast phases. Earlier efforts were less than 3 in maillard with similar dev time and drop temp, like mentioned earlier here,Stopping roast during early First Crack?
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.

STG

#37: Post by STG »

Chert wrote:I am trying to roast with drop earlier in first crack for the drop. I have been going 1:15 to 1:30 so near end of 1C but this thread got me interested again in very light roasts. Like these Kenyan greens other coffees I have presently have flavors I want to develop in the roast and not lose in further caramelization. In other words I'm roasting and hopefully learning. If it's not a hit maybe I should recalibrate my target and order some KUMA. I'd like to be able to hit a flavorful and flawless light roast like I've had from KUMA, just not sure how it's done.
Yeah cool. I'm still learning too. I don't know enought to know if those ratios would leave to underdevelopment, but they seem quick. Kuma is indeed amazing. Huge fan. Have you tried Sey? If you haven't, you should. Very good, very light roasts. I would love to know how they do it. No one wants to give away the secret sauce.

I think I have that same Kenyan from Klatch. I'll chime in once I give it a go.

Edit: Nevermind, I have the Thunguri and the Gathanji.

Versalab: maker and supplier of finest espresso equipment
Sponsored by Versalab
User avatar
Chert
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by Chert »

I traded with an HB buddy so have the Klatch gaithani to compare with 2019 harvest Wakamata from Royal
I sponsor Artisan Roasterscope.

Rickpatbrown

#39: Post by Rickpatbrown »

Chert wrote:Also I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread that I am trying for 4/ 3.5 / :45 for the roast phases. Earlier efforts were less than 3 in maillard with similar dev time and drop temp, like mentioned earlier here,Stopping roast during early First Crack?
You are roasting pretty quick? Is this the Huky? What is your batch size?

User avatar
MaKoMo

#40: Post by MaKoMo »

Chert wrote:I traded with an HB buddy so have the Klatch gaithani to compare with 2019 harvest Wakamata from Royal
I like your signature. Complement!