Stopping roast during early First Crack? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EvanOz85 (original poster)

#21: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

Chert wrote:Give it another ten days and test it. Move the profile to 4:3.5 and :40 and try that after one week.
Will do. Thanks!
Chert wrote:Which bean and process will it work for?
Ideally I'd be using a high-scoring and high-acidity Kenyan, but I have none on hand.

Chert

#22: Post by Chert »

2019 crop may be available at Royal, Roastmasters and 2018 I see at Cafe Imports.
LMWDP #198

#23: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) replying to Chert »

I've never purchased greens that old before. Wouldn't they have degraded a good bit by now?

Chert

#24: Post by Chert »

I know. But current crop is not available yet; cross fingers that the shipping delays will not be too great.

I guess Royal would be willing to move this last box. Kenya Nyeri 2019 harvest If three others want to go in, we could distribute 5 lbs for each. We might learn if crown jewel plastic bags preserve, or not.
LMWDP #198

drgary
Team HB

#25: Post by drgary »

This is just the thing to post in the Green Coffee Exchange thread. If anyone wants to indicate their interest, please communicate that via DM to Flint.

Green Coffee Exchange
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Chert

#26: Post by Chert »

Yeah, just PM me about such a distro. I probably won't post to the Exchange since this is about the roast that EvanOz85 and I want to achieve: slap in the face grapefruit and/or Agtron 54/81 fruit bomb a la Nyeri.
LMWDP #198

Chert

#27: Post by Chert »

I think the Aida Batlle selection washed is sl-28, but not so fruity or acidic as a good Kenyan.
Anyway here goes a light take. It was not the 4 3 :45 profile I was shooting for.

LMWDP #198

STG

#28: Post by STG replying to Chert »

Curious little uptick in gas right before 1C. Do you always do that? I noticed you're on a Huky a well.

Chert

#29: Post by Chert replying to STG »

It will really be serendipity if this roast moves the discussion toward a developed mid 1C coffee. I have been increasing the heat and decreasing it again for a 4 C / 7F span starting about 7C before start of 1C. This is to mitigate crash. In the case of this roast, the curve got away from me. I strive to decrease mistakes, but these excellent coffees we have access to as home roasters represent too much hard work (from farm to cup) to toss them, so I really hope my cupping just now is drinkable. If not, I will taste along the roast for a number of weeks to see what a cinnamon roast morphs over time. I'll edit this post in a bit on my first cupping. (fingers crossed against grassy)

(Taking a cupping report lead from Boldjava)
1:14 water off boil
▪ Fragrance- We're talking why a light roast store bought coffee like Folger's fresh opened is nice. Inoffensive not bready, but bready-grassy threatening with pour, if I know what I mean.
▪ Aroma- more sweetness but see fragrance also not grassy
▪ Acidity- prominent but not as puckering as I had expected
▪ Flavor/nuances - mild, sweet, good acidity
▪ Body/mouthfeel- as immersion surprisinly silky body
▪ Finish/aftertaste - not much there despite that I enjoyed this cup enough to consume half of it.

Definitely won't go back to this roast for a few days, but at least with such a highly selected coffee, a mid 1C approach done better, is something I do wish to pursue.
LMWDP #198

#30: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

Chert wrote:(Taking a cupping report lead from Boldjava)
1:14 water off boil
▪ Fragrance- We're talking why a light roast store bought coffee like Folger's fresh opened is nice. Inoffensive not bready, but bready-grassy threatening with pour, if I know what I mean.
▪ Aroma- more sweetness but see fragrance also not grassy
▪ Acidity- prominent but not as puckering as I had expected
▪ Flavor/nuances - mild, sweet, good acidity
▪ Body/mouthfeel- as immersion surprisinly silky body
▪ Finish/aftertaste - not much there despite that I enjoyed this cup enough to consume half of it.
Interesting stuff, Chert! Sounds like you may have gotten better results than I did from the Natural Ethiopian.