Stopping roast during early First Crack? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EvanOz85 (original poster)

#11: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

eltakeiteasy wrote:I just looked up 81 on the Agtron scale and that is not too light it's in the med/medium light range and much darker than I have been roasting. That is odd if it has the orange color as I see that normally in roast ranging from 96-108 on the Agtron scale.
Hmm, from the research I've done 81 is well within Cinnamon range.

eltakeiteasy

#12: Post by eltakeiteasy »

Not sure. I have a roast vision and I am going off of this conversation chart: https://espressovision.com/2020/12/15/a ... alidation/
LMWDP #672.

#13: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

Interesting. Well, either the chart is wrong or the Agtron reading on coffeereview.com is wrong because this was an extraordinarily lightly roasted coffee.

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

I believe you can get developed light roasts by not exceeding a low targeted drop temperature, achieving most development in maillard, and entering first crack with a slow rate of rise without stalling. You wouldn't want to stretch first crack very far without losing desired acidity. It might take some practice runs to dial in a coffee, where high density and washed processing can stand higher charge temperatures. The trick is to get past blandness without over-caramelizing. So much of this seems to be about knowing your roaster well from many iterations. Am I missing anything with this approach?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

mathof

#15: Post by mathof »

eltakeiteasy wrote:I just looked up 81 on the Agtron scale and that is not too light it's in the med/medium light range and much darker than I have been roasting. That is odd if it has the orange color as I see that normally in roast ranging from 96-108 on the Agtron scale.
There are two Agtron scales. The Commercial Scale tops out at 100, the Gourmet at 133. Maybe the 81 was measured on the former, and you consulted the latter.

daustin777

#16: Post by daustin777 »

Coffeereview.com uses 'M-Basic or "Gourmet" Agtron scale'.
54/81 means that the external reading is 54 and the ground is 81. 54 is fairly dark. When you look at the beans from a roaster you are looking at the external. Maybe the roaster was not roasting the same as what was submitted to coffeereview.com?
David Austin

daustin777

#17: Post by daustin777 »

Interesting Roast-along from Mill City Roasters released a couple of days ago with Kenya Kiambu that may offer some insight on this topic.
Not sure if it is the same origin Kiambu vs Kiandu...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EN4DHv665g
David Austin

jevenator

#18: Post by jevenator »

It went from cold 60 degree days to me roasting in 80 degree weather and everything was a lot hotter than I anticipated.

A bit uncontrolled but hopefully this would taste fine.

#19: Post by EvanOz85 (original poster) »

Please let us know how these turn out!

Here is a roast I did a week ago with Ethiopian Dry Process Mahamed Aba Nura from SM's. Tasting it today, and its very grainy/grassy. Not good. However the mouthfeel and taste at the very tip of the tongue hints at potential excellence which is kinda infuriating. This method may not work well for naturals.

Chert

#20: Post by Chert »

Give it another ten days and test it. Move the profile to 4:3.5 and :40 and try that after one week.
This method may not work well for naturals.
Which bean and process will it work for? (I will try with Aida Batlle washed.)

So many factors at play!
LMWDP #198