Start of 1C

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Cranked

#1: Post by Cranked »

Hi All,

When I roast I usually get 1 weak pop, followed by 30 second (plus or minus) until the next pop. Then 1C really gets rolling.

Is that first weak pop the start of 1C or do I wait (for timing purposes, etc) until the later more vigorous cracks?

Thanks!

Eric

Capuchin Monk

#2: Post by Capuchin Monk »

There are typically a few outliers early on, then when you hear 3 or more consecutive pops, that's considered real 1C.

lagoon

#3: Post by lagoon »

I normally start the timer after I've heard a few cracks, and the pattern can vary a bit between different types of beans.

Whichever way you choose to do it, it's best to stick to that method for repeatability.

Cranked (original poster)

#4: Post by Cranked (original poster) »

Thanks. That's quite clear and makes a lot of sense given my experience with my roasts.

Happy roasting!

Eric

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Nunas »

Yes, after a few pops, as others have said. Note that the early pop phenomenon is sometimes worse with blends. You might get an outlier or two, then some more pops, then a little null, followed by more vigorous popping. It all depends on the type and age of the beans in your blend.

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

I don't think 1st (or 2nd) crack start is a good benchmark for timing. It varies by coffee, by roast weight, and by the length of the prior roast. I start my timing at 190C (375F), which for my thermometry is about 20 to 45 seconds (4 to 8 C) before the first crack starts for most of my coffees.
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful

dcbrown1
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by dcbrown1 »

Jim shared his method with me, and I have found it to be bang on for consistent results on my M3. Thank you Jim for your advice!
Dave Brown

Marcelnl

#8: Post by Marcelnl »

another_jim wrote:I don't think 1st (or 2nd) crack start is a good benchmark for timing. It varies by coffee, by roast weight, and by the length of the prior roast. I start my timing at 190C (375F), which for my thermometry is about 20 to 45 seconds (4 to 8 C) before the first crack starts for most of my coffees.
I'm curious how you determine your point to drop? Using a fixed temp makes sense indeed, just wondering if it's temperature based or time (and if time how given the variability of FC)
LMWDP #483

another_jim
Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim »

For my first few roasts, I base the drop on smell (no more irritants for the very lightest roasts, various degrees of caramel and toastiness for everything else. If you cook with a wok or saute pan, you'll be good at this.). Once I have that, I repeat the time. Repeating temperature would work the same way, since I keep a very constant ET; time is more convenient on my set up.
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful

Marcelnl

#10: Post by Marcelnl replying to another_jim »

I gave it a go, a bit uneasy as a fixed amount of time somehow feels more like being in control....but in fact it is not as time is only a surrogate parameter for results....will know more i a few days after a good rest (at 207 or so drop temp, funny that THAT was consistent with my previous 'system' of looking at time post FC and drop temp)
LMWDP #483