Fresh Roast SR800 - 1/2 lb Air Roaster - Page 15

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Bluenoser

#141: Post by Bluenoser »

beardsicles wrote:Anyone have thoughts on the SR540+RazzoRoasting extension tube vs the SR800 stock? As far as I can tell, the SR800 is just the 540 with a stronger fan and the extension tube stock?
The SR800 does not have an extension tube.. I have the 800 and find that the unit does not move the beans enough to get a even roast easily. It can be done, but a bit finicky. The manufacturers make an extension tube just for the 800 and Razzo makes one. The Razzo one looks much better for the money. I plan to add the Razzo 9.5" one to mine as soon as he comes off 'vacation'. I like the 800, but think they could have designed the whole tube geometry to work more consistently. The current chamber is too wide and loses heat too fast.. Either a double walled glass or the 5mm thickness that Razzo has is what is needed. I like the 800 and it will monitor temperature, but the probe is below the beans and so it is not measuring the Bean Temp. It has the potential to be a great little machine.. But I'd redesign the tube.. put the probe in a better spot .. and add a way to monitor temp on iOS or Android. Maybe a lot, but I'd pay more for those features.

garyk

#142: Post by garyk »

Bluenoser wrote:...
I like the 800, but think they could have designed the whole tube geometry to work more consistently.
I agree. Features I would add:
  • Allow the roasting chamber to twist and lock into the base. Similarly for the chaff collector/cover.
  • Redesign airflow for the cover so the chaff cleanly exits the roasting chamber.
  • Use a different material for the chaff collector/lid that doesn't warp with heat.
  • Provide a separate temperature readout that doesn't require twisting the knob, so it is always visible.
BTW, I disagree that the temp probe should be elsewhere. Because of the high airflow, I don't think the temp readout on a fluid bed roaster will ever be as accurate as a drum roaster. It is useful as is even though the temps don't reflect the bean roast level in the same was a probe in a drum roaster does. Putting the temp probe into the roasting chamber on a model like this requires modification that make the machine less simple to setup and use.

beardsicles

#143: Post by beardsicles » replying to garyk »

All of this makes me think you're better off with a SR540+RazzoRoast kit than a SR800 for basically the same price..

garyk

#144: Post by garyk » replying to beardsicles »

If the roast sizes that will give you are adequate for your needs -- then absolutely!

MNate
Supporter ♡

#145: Post by MNate »

Oo- if we are playing "things I'd change" my main one would be I'd love more fan settings... infinitely adjustable even. Sometimes I have to decide between too low a roll and a huge jumping mass - at least with the 12" tube.

I also dislike hitting the button several times to adjust the right thing (especially when I need to switch over to air setting because of the above). I do like the knob.

Overall I like it though and am happy.

MNate
Supporter ♡

#146: Post by MNate »

Ok, it's me again, posting about my 4th variation on what I'm doing with the SR800 with Razzo 12" tube. I like this method much better and think I'm getting better results. And, I don't even really think you need Artisan hookup to do it.

I've settled on:
-Keep the heat at 6 for Full City+. or 5 if going for a lighter roast. Only two exceptions are about 30 seconds before anticipated first crack I might up the heat by 1 until just into first crack to get rid of the crash/flick then drop it back again, also, if the end of my roast is dropping below 10/min and I have some more ground to cover I might raise it a bit, even if it hurts my RoR curve.
-Fan on the lowest number that keeps the been shuffling but keeping the mass together, not having beans getting thrown in the air at all. This is primarily to keep the temp reading better. You can still see some drop in BT probe temp when I drop the fan a step, but not as bad. I'm not sure if it's just a measurement problem or if it really is delivering a different rate of heat to the beans when they go from slow roll to rolling in the air... But I haven't noticed any unevenness in the roast when doing it this way.

This graph isn't awesome compared to some on drum roasters but the main issue is pretty clear: the two dips are exactly when I drop the fan a notch (thick blue line). I think I've come to turn the fan down even sooner now and the dips are less apparent.

One other note, it was 55F outside this day. Roasted again yesterday at 45F outside and I started my roasts at 7 because of it with similar results.

I'm hoping now to get a better grasp of the temps of FC and SC now that I have a more consistent approach (less bean rolling variability). With this approach my BT is about 25 degrees less than when I was really keeping the beans in the air. (note again, my BT probe is about an inch or two above the bean mass).