Fresh Roast SR800 - 1/2 lb Air Roaster - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

Bichon99 wrote:Canadian certification is a pain in the butt. The Canadian electrical requirements are strict. It can take a long time to get it. We can wait or find some USA company to ship it clandestinely:)
It isn't clandestine; the importer (and reseller, if applicable) is legally responsible for compliance. You can buy whatever you want and import it yourself for your own usage - and with a few exceptions, you're only breaking the law when you plug the device in (so you could operate the roaster on a generator, LoL).

The electrical requirements are pretty harmonized with the USA. Companies usually get both countries' tests done at the same time for consumer goods as the incremental cost is minimal. However, the bilingual requirements for labels, warnings, manuals, etc. do take time, unless planned for from the start.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

STG

#12: Post by STG »

Anyone else have a review of this? I'm considering getting this as a gift for my father who has expressed interest in roasting. Figured it may be a good place to start!

Advertisement
Javier

#13: Post by Javier »

GregoryJ wrote:Hi all, I took a video roasting 228g of an espresso blend (Sweet Maria's Monkey Espresso). I start it with a high (9) fan and medium (5) heat until about 45 seconds in, when the beans start moving more, then I raise the heat to 9. To raise the heat throughout the roast, I had to reduce the fan speed, which has a big effect on temperature, but also causes the beans to move less. Sometimes it doesn't look like the beans are moving too much, but it didn't appear to scorch any and I'm really enjoying the shots I'm pulling from it. I cooled the roast after about 11 mins total after getting into 2nd crack. Sorry I didn't show the temperature readout, I was just trying to keep the camera somewhat steady :)

video
Thank you for providing the video. It seems the fan is barely moving the mass of beans. And it also seems that the beans are not roasting evenly (there are several visible shades of brown and green at the end of the video). Perhaps is an optical artifact from video and/or light.
LMWDP #115

GregoryJ (original poster)

#14: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

Hi Javier, keep in mind this is an espresso blend. I did a single origin Colombian and it looks much more even throughout the roast. I agree though, I wish the fan could move the beans a bit more!

#15: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

Here is a picture of a colombian coffee at a couple different times throughout the roast:

Abecker

#16: Post by Abecker »

STG wrote:Anyone else have a review of this? I'm considering getting this as a gift for my father who has expressed interest in roasting. Figured it may be a good place to start!
Did you end up buying one?

elorest

#17: Post by elorest »

I'll be getting mine on Saturday. Currently have the Gene Cafe and Fresh Roast SR540. I usually prefer the Fresh Roast because I have more fine control of it than the Gene which is basically turn on and occasionally adjust temperature until the beans look the right color (too loud to hear first crack). I'm hoping the SR800 works as well but with a larger roast size.

Advertisement

#18: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

I was getting good tasting roasts with the stock roasting chamber, but curiosity got the better of me so I bought an "extended roast chamber". This is a taller, skinnier chamber (definitely have to be careful not to knock it over) that gives amazing bean movement and really speeds up the roast. My first roasts from it are resting now, so I'll see how the flavors compare to my previous roasts.

elorest

#19: Post by elorest »

Where did you find an extended roast chamber? I've seen a larger one for the old format roasters but none that would fit the SR540 or SR800.

#20: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

I got one from razzo roast on etsy