Some lessons after using a fluid bed roaster for two weeks - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
AJbarista
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by AJbarista »

I thought RoR is the rate of rise of bean temperature itself. Can someone define in formula the RoR.

Anyways, going back to the point, I also heard from Scott Rao that focus on the RoR not the % of time spent in different phases. I read Rob's book as well. So, for the Santoker or Ikawa, did you did you come across any idea ratio of times spent for different phases?

I currently use Hottop with Artisan. Tired Gene, and Behmor. Tried Fresh roast but hate it for lack of automation. Don't like Behmor as well. I totally agree with automation. Once you dial in roast, we should be able to replicate it.

I am intrigued by the fluid bed roaster because I roast light (right after FC end), and with hottop I have to go in the garage would be nice to roast in the kitchen without paying Ikawa price. Also, does Ikawa trigger smoke alarm?

DaumierS

#52: Post by DaumierS »

QUICK QUESTION. I have a Hottop KN-8828B-2K+ drum roaster that I did not use for several years. At that time I was not able to use an Artisan controlled automatic roasting, the PID did not work. May be it was just me, I don't know. And my manual curves were never perfect.

I would like to return to home roasting now. Any recommendations? Can I use PID profiled automatic curve roasting with KN-8828B-2K+ today? Or it is generally impossible with electric drum roasters?

If I need to upgrade, what roaster for home use would be the best? Fluid bed? I do not have gas and a place for a gas roaster. I guess 300 g - 500 g is what I want. Will be grateful for any feedback.

drgary
Team HB

#53: Post by drgary »

THE expert on Hottop roasters is our member, Randy G., who's the HottopAmericas.com Customer Service Rep, wrote their manuals, etc. You might send him a DM with your question.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

DaumierS

#54: Post by DaumierS » replying to drgary »

I remember he left Hottop years ago, but I may be wrong. I also remember searching the web (before covid) and I failed to find a single reference to successful PID'ing with Hottop. I guess electric drum roasters are too slow to change the temperature in order to control the curve in real time. I am not sure, I may be wrong.

What would be an alternative to Hottop? Can somebody recommend a home roaster machine for 300-500 g, that would be not as expensive as industrial roaster? The key is Artisan PID automatic control roasting.

drgary
Team HB

#55: Post by drgary »

I think he's working with them again but support your idea of moving beyond a Hottop.
Gary
LMWDP#308

dyno

#56: Post by dyno »

Be interesting to see the suggestions you'll receive. I'll probably get a Kaffelogic with 200g extension tube but leaving the option open for a larger automated roaster.

Saw this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v10NTRkQ6kE

It's one of the few 110V compatible roasters I've seen that can accommodate a larger batch size.

drgary
Team HB

#57: Post by drgary »

I don't know if many here have experience with the Kaffelogic, which is relatively new on the market. If someone does, maybe they can chime in.
Gary
LMWDP#308

dyno

#58: Post by dyno »

It doesn't get much talk here for sure. I like what I've seen and am willing to take a chance. I think product support and such after purchase will be fine but that's the risk. The small size and set and forget nature of it is appealing for a weekly routine. I wasn't convinced of fluid bedders but after fooling around with my flour sifter/heat gun setup with Artisan, I'm a convert.

LuckyMark

#59: Post by LuckyMark »

I don't think the Kaffelogic have released their 120V version yet (but I believe soon) . They have been out in NZ and Australia for about 3 years, there is a thread on the Coffeesnobs forum from Australia - https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equipm ... ed-roaster

luca
Team HB

#60: Post by luca »

drgary wrote:I don't know if many here have experience with the Kaffelogic, which is relatively new on the market. If someone does, maybe they can chime in.
The form factor is suuuper convenient and the price is not bad, so I reaaaaaaallly wanted it to be great, but I had to concede that I could only get a handful of roasts out of it that were what I wanted, and I couldn't do it consistently. But, having said that, I only tried about 600 roasts on it over about two years, and there were probably a few things I didn't try. It's difficult to know what the frame of reference of people posting about it is. For example, I found their "cupping" roast surprisingly dark. I even posted about it on their forum, but got no response. The chaff collection was maybe not great; kind of a little fiddly and small capacity.

It seemed to have ample heat and fan speed for a 100g roast, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's some way to get good roasts out of it. I guess the difficulty is kind of in controlling it. You only get one temp reading, after all, so it's not like you can control an independent variable and get feedback from the dependent variable, at least not easily. You can alternatively control the machine by power, but that is incredibly clunky and limited. Roasting was rendered even more difficulty by the KL that I used being one of the few roasters on the market that doesn't allow you to even see the beans whilst roasting.

I gather that Matt Winton had Sam Corra roast some coffee on the KL for use in the world brewers' cup, so there might be some capacity for greatness. I also heard that there are mods or something in the works.

I don't know. It's really hard to form an opinion about any domestic roaster or sample roaster based on what people write about them online. Pick any of them and you'll find people raving about how they're awesome and some people going on about how they're bad. It's the same with Ikawa - there are plenty of people whose opinions I respect who have told me both that they are useless and that they are not bad. (One of the caveats that people should be aware of, incidentally, is that a lot of roasters kind of don't really require their sample roasters to be able to deliver as good a roast as a production roast - if you only get a 50-100g sample, your'e not dialling it in, and if you get samples from importers, often they're totally under or totally incinerated, so I think there are a lot of roasters who are very happy if their sample roaster gives them a roast that's not really very good, but showcases some of the distinctiveness of the coffee they are looking at.) If I were shopping for a home roaster, I'd try to find someone with similar tastes to me and see what they think. Or I'd try to find someone who raves about theirs and see if I could pay them to do a few roasts for me. I mean, to be blunt, roast defects are so common at the commercial level that it wouldn't surprise me if there are home roasters who are very happy with consistent roast defects from their machines. Equally, there are some home roasters that are great - drgary, I remember one of your home roasts mopping the floor with a cupping table of home and pro roasts!
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes