A solid, catch-all, Hottop espresso roast profile? - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
charlesaf3

#41: Post by charlesaf3 »

Thanks very much for this great work, I'm definitely going to try this.

Why 225g, and not 250, if I can ask?

coffee.me (original poster)

#42: Post by coffee.me (original poster) »

Charles, IIRC I used 225g probably because it's ~1/2lb :) , if there was another reason then I forgot it. Note that the less green weight you use, the more responsive your HT roast becomes.

Can I suggest you look at this thread, it's like a disclaimer to this one :mrgreen:

charlesaf3

#43: Post by charlesaf3 »

ah, thanks. I could see how the reactivity would be increased by going to lower levels of beans - just don't know whether or not that's a good thing yet! :?

I'll have a look at the link, appreciate it.

Are you still using the "ideal curve" you laid out above?

coffee.me (original poster)

#44: Post by coffee.me (original poster) »

Charles: "Are you still using the "ideal curve" you laid out above?"
You don't wanna know the answer, trust me :lol: but it's in the thread I linked to, so stay safe :wink:

PeteF

#45: Post by PeteF »

Javacat wrote:BTW, what is EU? I noticed this is in your profile, but I have no idea where this is.
- Kurt
Oh dear :shock:

Excellent thread BTW. I am just starting to use the HT(B) and actually have the opposite problem to many, where I find I need to be very careful to continually reduce the heat/increase the fan to prevent the whole shebang finishing in 7 minutes! I've been gradually reducing/increasing to arrive at FC at 40% power/max fan. I don't have the profile with me however I recall FC on the last roast was around 10 mins. Even with that small amount of heat going in the temps increased much faster than I intended and went straight into second crack. I dumped that 250g roast at 13 mins as I recall, looks fine so far.

I was wondering what your thoughts were on using minimal fan?

Pete

cfsheridan

#46: Post by cfsheridan »

Pete, for most of my roasts, I do not get above 50% fan. Start off with nothing, bump to 50% for 30 sec around 3:30 to 4:00, then run 25% until about 350°F bean mass, where I hit 50% and stay there. I'll bump up fan on darker roasts or if I think there's too much smoke in the drum.

PeteF

#47: Post by PeteF »

Yes I understand what you're saying but wonder what the logic is behind not using the fan, or at least not using at a high setting? I think the B model runs at 20% increments on the fan as I recall (x5 settings).

Pete

cfsheridan

#48: Post by cfsheridan »

Fan is in 25% increments, five increments from 0% to 100% (0-4)

My logic is that increase fan speed draws in more colder ambient air, which further reduces the efficiency of the roaster. I also like to keep the fan lower as a reserve function if I want to use it in a gross sense to slow things down, or to suck more smoke out during the latter part of a darker roast (FC+).

I don't like to use the fan to slow the roast down, as it can bring ET down (sometimes quickly if it's cold in the garage), and screw things up in the roast.

Now, truth in advertising--I've not done enough testing to quantify the effect in the cup when ET drops during a roast (after 1st crack), but most of my roasts don't have this happen after 1st crack begins, based on the advice I've seen here.

PeteF

#49: Post by PeteF »

Fan is in 25% increments, five increments from 0% to 100% (0-4)
Oh yeah, so it is, I had 5 "settings" in my head (and not much else clearly) as I was counting "0"

Ok that makes sense to keep it as an option as I would expect it would react quite quickly to change the temp.

Pete