So you want to start roasting? How good are your coffee greens? - Page 9

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#81: Post by mgrayson »

Luca,

Now that this thread has turned into a (very) productive discussion of sourced bean quality and defects, my point here may be outdated. But the *title* of the thread is, I think, responsible for much of the early misinterpretation of your intent. "So you want to ..." has an implication of challenge. Almost, but not as strong as "What makes you think you're good enough to..."

In children's books, "So you want to..." implies less challenge, but more "Here's what grownups do to become a Fireman, Astronaut, or whatever".

Oh, and include me in the "my first Aguazul Pink Bourbon was fantastic and meh since then" camp. And it was just about my first non-Ikawa sourced bean roast. My expectations have now returned to normal :D

And I think there is value in beginners trying expensive beans - or, more precisely, a range of beans - so that they can see where their own skills hit diminishing returns. I'm definitely wasting money above $7/lb.

Best,

Matt

drgary
Team HB

#82: Post by drgary »

luca wrote:I've already recounted the story of a few years ago going to a cupping that Drgary and Rob Hoos organised for home roasters, and drgary's home roast being one of the best coffees on the cupping table, with another home roaster's coffee being right up there with his.
Here's a glimpse down memory lane for Geoff, Luca, Laron, Andy, Todd, Rob, Jonathan and others who were there. I wouldn't be surprised if the other good roast was Laron's.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
luca (original poster)
Team HB

#83: Post by luca (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Here's a glimpse down memory lane for Geoff, Luca, Laron, Andy, Todd, Rob, Jonathan and others who were there. I wouldn't be surprised if the other good roast was Laron's.
Laron, yes, that rings a bell. I'd have been quite happy to have ended up with either of your roasts if I'd bought retail coffee.

Thanks, everyone, for the various contributions here. I've started a new thread where we can discuss specific examples and whether they might be a roast or a green issue. I've kicked it off with PIXIllate's example.
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes