So you want to start roasting? How good are your coffee greens? - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Milligan

#51: Post by Milligan »

I'll jump in and say I struggled at first with buying greens as a newbie. I had access to the usual suspects for online purchasing, but didn't have the knowledge to know what I was looking at. The "customer reviews" were stunningly terrible, all 5-star reviews tasting delicious at a rolling 2nd crack... As someone who had practically zero experience to pull from it is hard to know if the roast was bad, the greens were bad, the roaster was wrong, the brew prep was wrong, and on and on. If a newbie comes along and buys 20lbs of "specialty" greens from an importer to learn on and the greens are bad to begin with then it could be a lot of wasted days and frustrations.

So luca's suggestion to new roasters to not automatically assume the greens are amazing because why came from XYZ importer and they paid $XX for them is sage advice. The best thing for a new roaster to do is to pick a bean that is being enjoyed here and has feedback from experienced users.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#52: Post by mkane »

I too am looking forward to a 'defects' thread.

When I first started buying green coffee, I used to dump them on the counter and sort everything with a fine-tooth comb. I'll get back on it.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#53: Post by PIXIllate »

None of this is making me want to stop my Tim Wendelboe subscription. His Kenyan's from this month all taste as per the notes. In particular the Gachatha that I opened this morning was wonderful.

Capuchin Monk

#54: Post by Capuchin Monk »

PIXIllate wrote:His Kenyan's from this month all taste as per the notes.
For the next batch, you may want to taste first and then compare the notes afterwords to see if the "power of suggestion" does / did play a role or not. :idea:

GC7
Supporter ♡

#55: Post by GC7 »

PIXIllate wrote:None of this is making me want to stop my Tim Wendelboe subscription. His Kenyan's from this month all taste as per the notes. In particular the Gachatha that I opened this morning was wonderful.
No doubt. I have not had his coffees but I have had a number of Sey's offerings including at NYC shops. Generally, I found them excellent but not way above the ones I roast at home and some are not as good to my tastes that prefer a bit more developed coffees.

However, to stay in the theme, let's assume your Kenyan is top shelf and popular. You might want another bag next week. Oops, it's all gone. I still have a pleasing supply of the Kenyan that Thom offered to us last year.

It's all good and we all have our reasons spending precious time playing.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by mkane »

Just ordered Sweet Marias 3-pick Kenyan selection of greens. I'll give em' my once over the uneducated examination.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by PIXIllate »

Capuchin Monk wrote:For the next batch, you may want to taste first and then compare the notes afterwords to see if the "power of suggestion" does / did play a role or not. :idea:
After decades of blind tasting I've kind of broken away from being that suggestable but to be honest compared to the world of wine the lexicon of taste descriptors in espresso is pretty limited. Especially if you narrow down to "Kenyan". I'm sure the same 5-10 words are used on every bag sold.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#58: Post by mkane »

New roasters should concentrate on learning the ins & out of their machine before spending good money on premium beans.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#59: Post by Peppersass replying to mkane »

I can't disagree with this advice, but I'd limit the use of lesser beans to learning how to roast to a desired degree of color and development without introducing roast defects (scorching, tipping, etc.) That'll keep the newbie busy for a while. Attempts at roast optimization might work in terms of taking the beans from OK to better, but expectations need to be realistic. There's a deep rabbit hole waiting for the roaster who keeps trying to get great taste out of mediocre or inferior beans.

drgary
Team HB

#60: Post by drgary »

Peppersass wrote:There's a deep rabbit hole waiting for the roaster who keeps trying to get great taste out of mediocre or inferior beans.
And there's no rabbit there. :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!