Smoky/Roasty notes on all of my coffee - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Kojaraty (original poster)

#11: Post by Kojaraty (original poster) »

I tried a 5kg batch today which I roasted 2.5 days ago and The smokiness in the coffee is almost gone, maybe I will try increasing the airflow more next time and resting the coffee even more. So I think the problem was using too small batch size which causes this issue as it makes sense that too little coffee inside the drum causes it to touch the surface of the drum more. For me a 2Kg is more economically feasible but Its difficult to roast. I hope I can find a solution for smaller batch coffee without having this issue in the final product.

#12: Post by Kojaraty (original poster) »

pcofftenyo wrote:Since we're throwing out thoughts, I'm wondering if your temps are actually different than what you think?

When I roast loads that are 250 grams or less on my 500 gram Huky my temp readings are flat incorrect. Its bad at 200g and 150g is nearly impossible, which is 30%

There is less bean mass around the probes and I have to do it old school - timer and tryer. Its more wing and prayer actually. I know this probably says more about me than anything, but I can't use the same feedback system as with a fuller charge, 60% seems to be the solid minimum. Someone else alluded to it.
Yes the temp reading is different. Small batch I get FC at 189c where in bigger batch I get FC at 193c

mkane
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by mkane »

Kojaraty wrote:I tried a 5kg batch today which I roasted 2.5 days ago and The smokiness in the coffee is almost gone, maybe I will try increasing the airflow more next time and resting the coffee even more. So I think the problem was using too small batch size which causes this issue as it makes sense that too little coffee inside the drum causes it to touch the surface of the drum more. For me a 2Kg is more economically feasible but Its difficult to roast. I hope I can find a solution for smaller batch coffee without having this issue in the final product.
Try less overall heat.

#14: Post by Kojaraty (original poster) replying to mkane »

Do you recommend lower charge temp or lower heat during roast?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

Kojaraty wrote:So I think the problem was using too small batch size which causes this issue as it makes sense that too little coffee inside the drum causes it to touch the surface of the drum more.
Can you change the drum speed on your roaster?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#16: Post by Kojaraty (original poster) replying to yakster »

Yes I can

yakster
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by yakster »

Might be something to explore. I found this from Giesen on drum speed and another thread here that talks about it.

https://www.giesencoffeeroasters.eu/dru ... webinar-5/

Question for variable drum speed roasters
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by pcofftenyo »

Kojaraty wrote:I tried a 5kg batch today which I roasted 2.5 days ago and The smokiness in the coffee is almost gone, maybe I will try increasing the airflow more next time and resting the coffee even more. So I think the problem was using too small batch size which causes this issue as it makes sense that too little coffee inside the drum causes it to touch the surface of the drum more. For me a 2Kg is more economically feasible but Its difficult to roast. I hope I can find a solution for smaller batch coffee without having this issue in the final product.
Smaller roaster?