Small Commercial/Large Home Roaster Index - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Whale

#21: Post by Whale »

chang00 wrote:Surprised nobody mentioned the Probatino. The second generation Probatino still does not have variable damper/fan speed from my understanding, but has the "Probat" name.
Really you are surprised!? Last I saw the prize for one, was the last I thought of it as an option... Maybe the prizes have gone down now? :wink:
If we are going in theses stratospheric regions the Giesen W1 (http://www.giesencoffeeroasters.eu/coff ... giesen-w1/), is one roaster I would like to get my hands on... That will likely never happen though :roll:
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#22: Post by TomC (original poster) »

chang00 wrote:Surprised nobody mentioned the Probatino. The second generation Probatino still does not have variable damper/fan speed from my understanding, but has the "Probat" name.
I initially hesitated to add the Toper Cafemino, and the Probatino, I thought about both of them. They're pretty far on one end of the bell curve of who's going to be buying a roaster in this class. We're talking about ~$8000 machines ( Diedrich isn't immune either).

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
chang00

#23: Post by chang00 »

My dream set up would be TWO Mini 500's, which still are reasonably priced. Solid and perforated drums. Might be placebo effect, but when I tried the same beans roasted with the two different drums, I "could" smell/taste the difference. :D

tamarian

#24: Post by tamarian »

Whale wrote:If we are going in theses stratospheric regions the Giesen W1 (http://www.giesencoffeeroasters.eu/coff ... giesen-w1/), is one roaster I would like to get my hands on... That will likely never happen though :roll:
I know some members here have 1Kg Probatino and 1Kg Diedrich, but Giesen W1 seem to be rare for home roasters. I'd love to see one explored and get more details on. It's the prettiest roaster I've seen, IMHO, and maybe the heaviest. I understand it's all cast iron.

Any idea what's the price tag on it?

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#25: Post by TomC (original poster) »

A few interesting electric units from Coffee-tech added. Giesens are beautiful machines. Likely very expensive too. And over 300lb's I believe.

Kfir

#26: Post by Kfir »

TomC wrote:A few interesting electric units from Coffee-tech added
The Solar roaster is fully automated roaster:
I see that they now offer a new model called FZ-94:

http://www.coffee-tech.com/products/fz-94

Before I bought my Huky I visited the factory and had a chance to view a roasting demonstration by the owner (Ram Evgi), the machine looks rock solid and very well built.
It's relatively compact in relation to it's capacity and a 16A 220v socket is sufficient to run it even at home and you can connect a 4" flex pipe to the cyclone chaff collector to divert the smoke outside.

I wouldn't mind getting one but the price back then was about 8000$.

I love getting my hands on the discontinued Torrefattore 1kg model, I love the classic design and it's very compact and well suited for home use as well:
Kfir.

tamarian

#27: Post by tamarian »

Geisen sales are prompt. Basic W1 is 9,500 Eur. With concurrent cooling, 11,500Eur, with profiling, add 2,500 Eur. So, fully loaded, it is just over $20,000.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
kwantfm

#28: Post by kwantfm » replying to tamarian »

That "thunk" was me fainting...
LMWDP #602

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#29: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I added the XJ-101S roaster, which is basically the Mini 500's cooler, bigger brother. Tricked out with nice options, controls, extra features, etc. It was one of my strongest contenders.

I'm going to ask the first hand users of any of the above indexed roasters if they'll create a simple bullet point style pro's and con's list, breaking down what they like (subjectively), what they feel it lacks (subjectively) for their particular use, and only comment about your production quantities, not a full blown review, and I'll fit them in along with the rest of the links. I think if the list is fleshed out with first hand, home roaster opinions, it would help more than one thread that contains only 50% links. I'm thinking the rock stars like the Mini 500 are already covered, but the TJ-067 gas should get a good first hand review. When the roaster I'm buying arrives, I'll share info on it.

kwantfm

#30: Post by kwantfm »

TomC wrote:When the roaster I'm buying arrives, I'll share info on it.
So you've made your decision???
LMWDP #602