Simplifying the cleaning/maintenance of the Quest M3 [FAQ] - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BeachWatcher
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by BeachWatcher »

Seasoning the Quest M3 Drum- Follow up.

I made the decision to season the drum vs painting it black based on some additional input from those who had done it as well as considering an input concerning the odor noticed after painting. Yes, I know others who painted had no odor after painting. Given my existing high temp black paint (used for an HDTV fireplace heat shield project and also for a charcoal grill modification project) it certainly would have been easier than going to Whole Foods and searching for Flaxseed oil (I found it in the refrigerator case). I guess I am just a conservatively over-cautious individual.

Today I did roast #16 (I think that's about 5 roasts since I seasoned the drum). I decided to pull the drum to see what effect the heated elements had on my seasoned drum. Eureka - when I pulled the drum, it was very dark black. Not matte black I agree. It is uniformly shiny black. It seems that the heat of roasting converted my brown coating to black. Not sure if I should lightly sand (perhaps with some wet/dry auto body paper) it to a matte surface at this point. Any thoughts on shiny vs matte?

kwantfm

#22: Post by kwantfm »

I think that you should be making your decision based on roast dynamics rather than appearance of the drum coating. If you are happy with the response of your roaster to changes in your amperage via your MET then I would suggest not changing a thing.
LMWDP #602

Advertisement
BeachWatcher
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by BeachWatcher »

Good point. I think i will do more roasts. I have been consistent with only 150 gram charges. I think it is time to up the quantity and see how that works before I do anything else.

BeachWatcher
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by BeachWatcher »

Today I did a 250 gram charge to the high end of City (218 C BT depending on who's list you use) and dropped at 9:30 minutes. Ground some and drank it 4 hours later. It was just how we like it. It does seem that the drum mod has worked.

kwantfm

#25: Post by kwantfm replying to BeachWatcher »

Sounds like you have a lot of excess capacity then!
LMWDP #602

Kabouter

#26: Post by Kabouter »

TomC wrote:It's a 1.5mm hex head screw, at least on my version.
(the one in the base of the fan)

In my case the 1.5 mm hex key slipped (when applying much force). Turns out that on my Quest it's in fact a 1/16", so just slightly bigger. Used the gf's hair dryer on low to convince the screw that resistance was futile.