Showroom Coffee - Roasters for Sale (Huky and ARC)

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#1: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

In case people aren't aware the great folks at Showroom that sells green from home and small roasters also sell roasting machines. They sell the ARC (100-800grams), the ARC-s (sample roasting 200grams) and the the Huky too. Looks like you have options to customize the Huky.

I believe you will see Showroom more engaged in improving these machines.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

beanman

#2: Post by beanman »

The ARC 800 was one of the roasters I was looking into before buying the Buckeye BC-2
When I called, they handed me to Dan Shafer who is the director of operations and head of quality control.
They had all 3 colors in stock, and he gave me a quick freight quote and freight was very reasonable (less than my BC-2, and both companies are about 1450 miles to me).
Dan was very helpful, and knew the roaster well.
The cost would be about $1,000 less than the BC-2 I ended up with, and very similar size.
A couple detractors for me - cooling tray stirring arms may delay cooling on smaller roasts, and the chaff collector is a can held on by 2 latches at the top of it, so remove/install most likely needs 2 hands and good access to the back of the roaster. My BC-2 is on a cart against a wall, and I can reach in from the end of the cart, swing the chaff door open, and empty it. I also like the 2 temp displays on the BC-2 rather than a single panel with all info on it.
It is a 110 volt, so no 220 volt step up transformer that my BC-2 came with.
Overall, the ARC 800 looks to be a very competitive roaster in its size class. Your setup location and likes/dislikes of the features will help you decide which brand is best for you.

Strifer

#3: Post by Strifer »

Thanks for pointing this out. I am less than an hour commute from them so I will definitely start to consider purchasing from them. Has anyone have any experience with their green coffee? I notice some of the crop arrivals are from 2019, will this affect the quality of the beans and should I be setting my expectations lower for them? Or should I not be as concerned assuming they are stored properly.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster)

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) »

Tony, Show room has a filter for the newest arrivals. So you have options.
Artisan.Plus User-

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

beanman wrote:... - cooling tray stirring arms may delay cooling on smaller roasts ...
This is true of all cooling trays with stirring arms. If there aren't enough beans to spill over the arms, then the beans will pile up in front of the arms. For example, on my machine, that happens with under about a 30% charge. When I charged that low, I turned the arm motor off.

In addition, many shop roasters have an over-sized cooling tray as a feature. This allows the tray to be more easily used for mixing blends, which saves the smaller commercial roaster from having a separate food-grade bulk (cement) mixer.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Mbb

#6: Post by Mbb »

beanman wrote: I also like the 2 temp displays on the BC-2 rather than a single panel with all info on it.
This is the biggest drawback to the ARC I've seen. A single custom electronics panel makes it NOT a lifetime machine. Electronics degrade and fail, all of them. Using standard components that can be replaced when the roaster is no longer in production is a big +.

Not a problem on a $79 device. More of an issue on a $4000

Strifer

#7: Post by Strifer »

I am aware they offer newer crops as well. I was browsing through their options and some of the older 2019 crops peaked my interest so I was just wondering if I should set my expectations lower if I decide to purchase those. I have never paid attention to these dates in the past, however, as the roasting hobby picks up I am starting to look into these variables. Looking forward to supporting a local business.

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) replying to Strifer »

Many on here will say no way. I myself have had some that work as a basic coffee nothing fancy but consistent.
Artisan.Plus User-

charlesaf3

#9: Post by charlesaf3 »

nice to see Huky getting a US sales operation. I hope they follow the Sweet Marias model

#10: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz (original poster) replying to charlesaf3 »

What about that model appeals to you?
Artisan.Plus User-