Should I upgrade from Huky?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
charlesaf3

#1: Post by charlesaf3 »

I'm wondering whether I should sell my Huky, and thought I'd float it out there for opinions/guidance. Why? Upgradeitis. I'm pondering buying a Bullet.

I've been very happy with the Huky, I'd just like something automated - I'm not so much into coffee roasting, as coffee drinking, if that makes sense. And I like east africans roasted a certain way, so I roast my own.

Has anyone used both?

And is there a good market for used Hukys? Or would I be better off giving it to my brother or some such.

Thanks

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Brewzologist »

Haven't used a Bullet but have history using electric roasters. Some thoughts:

1) Upgrade your Huky to make it more automated. That's what I did and it's very predictable when I just want to bang out a roast.
2) Sell the Huky and get a Cormorant, Mill City, etc. gas roaster that already has the automation. (Personally I won't go back to an electric roaster after having used gas, which provides better roast control.)
3) Sell the Huky and buy coffee from a really good roastery. (I think Al is right around the corner in PA so to speak)

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

How about this option:
4) Give the Huky to your brother and have HIM roast your coffee together with his own.
LMWDP #483

charlesaf3 (original poster)

#4: Post by charlesaf3 (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:Haven't used a Bullet but have history using electric roasters. Some thoughts:

1) Upgrade your Huky to make it more automated. That's what I did and it's very predictable when I just want to bang out a roast.
2) Sell the Huky and get a Cormorant, Mill City, etc. gas roaster that already has the automation. (Personally I won't go back to an electric roaster after having used gas, which provides better roast control.)
3) Sell the Huky and buy coffee from a really good roastery. (I think Al is right around the corner in PA so to speak)
All good options. I've never found another roaster who roasts exactly what I like the way I like it - even though my preferences aren't that odd to my mind, SO east african fruit bombs for espresso, without grassy notes

How did you automate the Huky? Thing about doing that is adds to my project list, and I need to subtract...

Teaching my brother how to do it is an intriguing thought. Not sure that would work though...

littlenut

#5: Post by littlenut »

Hi Charles, Sound like you have a desirable situation.
charlesaf3 wrote:I'm wondering whether I should sell my Huky, and thought I'd float it out there for opinions/guidance. Why? Upgradeitis. I'm pondering buying a Bullet.

I've been very happy with the Huky, I'd just like something automated - I'm not so much into coffee roasting, as coffee drinking, if that makes sense. And I like east africans roasted a certain way, so I roast my own.

Has anyone used both?
I have no experience w/ either.
charlesaf3 wrote:And is there a good market for used Hukys? Or would I be better off giving it to my brother or some such.
I'm sure a near mint Huky could be sold pretty easily, but I like the thought of giving your brother the Huky for supplying you with coffee that you like.

There were 2 recent threads about automating their Huky's. Both are somewhat beyond my present skills.

Goal: A Huky 500 with digital controls and display
Huky Gas Automation

If I had upgradeitis and wanted pretty much turnkey and automated I would start here.
https://www.diedrichroasters.com/projec ... -roasters/
https://www.sanfranroaster.com/1-pound- ... ee-roaster
https://millcityroasters.com/shop/coffe ... e-roaster/

I would probably look a little into fluid bed roasters too, but I have no input there.

GL and HTH, -LN

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Brewzologist »

Charles; I think this recent post is spot on:
Jeff wrote:Roasting is another hobby that can complement making coffee. In many ways, it's even more challenging to get to a level of moderate competence than it is for espresso. Decide to roast because you'd enjoy the journey. That way it's a pleasant surprise when the results exceed your expectations.
Upgrading can certainly make roasting easier, but also ask yourself whether you really enjoy it or not. I have owned both electric and gas roasters and automated the heck out of my Huky because I like the process. And only after years of roasting have I recently really started liking my roasts.

Steve

Links to Huky upgrades:
Huky - Gas Regulator
Huky - Temperature Probe Upgrade - T/C & RTD
Huky Gas Automation
Cyclone Chaff Collector and Fan Setup -Huky 500
Cyclone for Kaldi Fortis Came In

Strifer

#7: Post by Strifer »

I do not own a Bullet, but, I have also been considering upgrading my roaster and have done some research so take my comments with a grain of salt. I was under the impression that the Bullet cannot reperform a previous roast so that would take away the "automation" you are looking for. In addition, I remember seeing that the Bullet is responsive to user input due to the unique way it heats up the beans even though it is an electric. Maybe a Bullet owner can confirm. The batch size should be taken into consideration since the Bullet's minimum batch size will be very different from the Huky since one is rated for 1kg and other for half the amount. Why not consider something like the Ikawa or similar since it has pre-set profiles that you can adjust to your tastes?

StuartM
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by StuartM replying to Strifer »

The Bullet can replay a previous roast or you can overlay (so you can trace over it) or you can create an automated recipe and playback that. So that would tick the boxes on the automated front. You still have to weigh and load the beans and drop them manually though ;-)

The Bullet is also not an electric in the conventional roaster sense in that there are no heating elements warming the drum like say HotTop - the Bullet uses induction heating of the drum so just as induction cooktops are argued to be as or more responsive than their gas counterparts, so with the Bullet. If gas access is a problem or you don't like having propane indoors or basically your roasting room setup requires electric (and even if it doesn't) then the Bullet is a great choice for a 1Kg max load.

And yes, I have a Bullet.

You can use their own recently revised software or of you prefer, the long standing Artisan software has a device template for it.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#9: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

StuartM wrote: You can use their own recently revised software or of you prefer, the long standing Artisan software has a device template for it.
Stuart, I didn't think the new Bullet connected with Artisan and they haven't supported or communicated with Artisan. Doesn't using Artisan require using prior Bullet software. I could be out of date on this.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

StuartM
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by StuartM replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

You need the V1 usb driver, not the RT software as a whole. I have suggested to Matt that as part of their V3 software revision they work with Marko and crew to make the communication less of a dance and maybe they would allow both software to coexist more harmoniously.

I'm running Artisan 2.4 with my IBTS V2 Bullet right now