Sharing a Pink Bourbon

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mkane »

Bought the Beans from Prime Green Coffee.

One hour off and couldn't resist. Served as a pour over.

Smells like watermelon

Nice fragrance, sweet and very coffee like

I'm getting a watermelon taste.

I'll put this up until I finish the other roasted coffee on the shelf. Should be about 4 days.

First was a bit hot so I bumped down the heat throughout.

bradm

#2: Post by bradm »

Mike are you happy with 50%/35%/15% for this bean? If not, what would you change to get closer to 45/35/20? Higher preheat or more power early? Would appreciate your insight as I roast this kind of bean too...

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by mkane (original poster) »

I would prefer 45/35/20 for sure. Next roast with this coffee I'll soak less first and see what happens. ROR numbers look good but again, these are just numbers. Something to shoot for though.

I could have let it run a bit more during the last phase and got to those percentages if I hadn't already decided on 410° as a drop temp. If you look at weight loss it's right around 15% which is more that average for us. This tells me the beans are less dense and carry less moisture to begin with. :?:

Couple of variables there though with the BC-1. It's a volatile little machine and very sensitive when you change a gas setting. More heat would get me to dry faster but it may also get the beans to 410° sooner than I want.

It's been a while since I roasted this particular coffee and forgot what it taste like.

The more we roast the more we enjoy it. Kind of like good music.

Edit. I've started to mark dry when there's no green visible. This changes bean to bean. I used to mark it @ 300°. I'm guessing that's where the 5% went (50/35/15)

GC7

#4: Post by GC7 »

Mike - Is it this one from Prime last year -Colombia Gabriel Castaño Pink Bourbon Microlot- or the one offered now with about 20# left for sale?

I still have some that one vac sealed in the deep freeze. It has a sweet watermelon component.

Here is my last roast of that bean with the remainder of the greens in storage. It was quite good with distinct watermelon and berry components and a very sweet background that I find most appealing in Pink Bourbon coffees. The latest Crown Jewel PB has a very high moisture component requiring extra heat early in the roast to keep up. Previous batches of that Palestina coffee were more normal in their weight loss as is the Prime offering from last year. 13.9% in this roast shown.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by mkane (original poster) »

Yes, bought if last year. Easy to roast. Should have bought more.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mkane (original poster) »

MSK1148 taste sweeter, more melon like than 1147 this morning, 2 days off.

No roast defects detected in 1148. 1147 might just be a tad smoky. I waiter longer to bring in more air on 1147. Probably too long.

I've been playing with air thinking it might be stripping the coffee of flavor.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mkane (original poster) »

MSK 1147,,,,fit for a King. Velvety smooth and a heavier mouthfeel than 1148.

On the nose there's a sweet smell with a fragrance that I can not pinpoint.

Very enjoyable. I'll taste the other roast in a bit.

GC7

#8: Post by GC7 »

Excellent!

I have not had a pink bourbon Colombian that was less than stellar.

One thing I've noticed about cupping this varietal is that going a bit darker brings out the fuller creamy body. Very light roasts are sweet and fruity but don't yield the heavy mouthfeel that makes it linger longer. So, I'm not surprised by your cupping results after longer rest.

Last week there was still 20# of the new PB Prime Coffee was offering. I don't know if its gone.

mkane (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mkane (original poster) »

MSK 1127 is long gone. A bit of 1128 left and it's still creamy clean & smooth. Very nice

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

I've got a lb of the Palestina Aquazul Solar Dried P/B out on the roasting table that I'll roast today now that the heat & humidity have dropped off. Still have 7 lbs left in the freezer.
LMWDP 267