Setting Artisan parameters for my Loring S7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
calmwatersroaster

#1: Post by calmwatersroaster »

Hey there! Me again just trying to figure out my new S7 and how to line it up with artisan. Does any one have any good axes settings for artisan when roasting with the s7? My peak ROR is way off the charts, like over 70. Maybe I'm just not used to switching over from my drum roaster, but my chart looks super weird. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

MaKoMo

#2: Post by MaKoMo »

Maybe you could provide a little more details like a screen shot of your chart to trigger some answers.

calmwatersroaster (original poster)

#3: Post by calmwatersroaster (original poster) »

Sure thing. I changed my parameters a ton on my axes. I also used to do a soak on my 3kilo where I didn't have my gas on for the first minute, and with my loring I don't do a soak. I'm not sure if this is making the difference or not? The highest my ROR went on my other machine was around 40. And now it's 70. Another thing I'm having a hard time figuring out is how to get my buttons/burner numbers to show up in a readable way, instead of just on the lower screen. They automatically mark, but it seems to be using different values than I've inputted.

archipelago

#4: Post by archipelago »

On a loring we aren't really concerned about the first ~2 minutes of the roast - the RTD probes are so sensitive it will look wild and out of control. I have my ROR set between -2 and 50 and changed the delta to 10s span. I'm roasting quick - typically 7-9 minutes, and have my x-axis from -1:00 to 9:30 and auto-mark charge.

On the lefthand Y-axis, I only display my Return air and BT during a roast since that's what I'm concerned with (as well as gas %). So I have the min set to 20 and max to wherever my return peaks (440-450 usually).

Finally, to match cropster curves, you'll need to adjust the following:
- Sampling interval 1.0 s
- in Curves>filters set "smooth curves" to 0; "smooth spikes" unchecked; smoothing to 0 for RoR filter.

MaKoMo

#5: Post by MaKoMo »

The first minutes into the roast, the bean temperature (BT) signal lacks behind the real bean temperature in drum roasters. As a consequence the derived BT RoR is kind of fake. As said before, the BT RoR peak depends on probe size, speed, placement and not much on the real RoR.

In the Artisan axis dialog you can tick the Auto \Delta BT button in the \Delta Axis section to have the BT RoR shown completely between 0 and its peak value. To get a more detailed rendering of the RoR you might decide to turn auto mode of and set sensible min/max limits manually, like those -5 to 50 as noted before.

Regarding your gas events, you need to be aware that Artisan assumes events to be specified in 0-100%. Here you want it to display it in kPa units on a scale from 0-4kPa if I understand you correctly. Events are rendered on the y-axis (temperature) by default. Thus values in the rang of 0-4 will be hard to distinguish on an y-axis ranging from 0-700F.

Let's assume you have buttons defined like the following, creating events with values in the range of 0-4 (menu Config >> Events, Buttons).

You can instruct Artisan to render your events like this

By choosing Combo (displaying values annotated inline), but not "snap" the values to the temperature axis 1:1 and display the "description" of the event to show event units as specified in the corresponding slider definition (menu Config >> Events, Sliders).

Most importantly you want to map the 100% mark to e.g. 4000F on the y-axis by specifying the "100% Event Step" in the Axis dialog as shown above. This will spread your events between 0 and 160F in 40F steps.

Almico
Supporter ★

#6: Post by Almico »

Turn around looks a little quick. Maybe try a 30s soak and see if that tames the initial RoR spike.

archipelago

#7: Post by archipelago »

No need. Turnaround is always quick on Loring (0:35-0:40 depending on batch size, across the entire line of roasters) because of the probes and probe placement - it's extremely responsive (and is a fiction/measurement artifact anyway). The Loring also has a built-in "soak" of 20s when the gate opens - the burner pulls down to 20%.

calmwatersroaster (original poster)

#8: Post by calmwatersroaster (original poster) »

Hey! Thank you so much for the detailed responses! Super super helpful. I think I made all the changes suggested. This is what I'm coming up with in my charts. I'll send a few screenshots of my settings too in hopes that I got everything checked correctly. I guess I can take off the burner and damper buttons with my artisan set up because when I change the burner on loring it automatically marks on Artisan. Let me know if you see anything i've missed and if my ROR is looking like a normal Loring curve. Still looks way different than my drum curve, but I'm also not super surprised if it's just supposed to be like that.

archipelago

#9: Post by archipelago »

It *will* look different than your other roaster - very rarely will two roasters look the same but the shape of curves will be slightly different on the Loring simply because of probe placement/size and the lack of thermal mass in the rossting chamber/face plate compared with a drum roaster.

You'll find crack occurs very consistently and at a higher temp than drum roasters (and much nearer to the theoretical start of crack that you see in the literature), that the crash at crack is much bigger, that ROR will peak much higher early in the roast, and that you need to stage heat differently versus a drum roaster.

In general I recommend using your Return air akin to ET.

I wrote a post which you may find to be helpful:
https://christopherferan.com/2021/04/21 ... -roasting/

MaKoMo

#10: Post by MaKoMo »

Almico wrote:Turn around looks a little quick. Maybe try a 30s soak and see if that tames the initial RoR spike.
What does a little quick turn around imply and why needs the initial RoR spike to be tamed?