Sample/small roaster that doesn't require outside venting? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Capuchin Monk

#21: Post by Capuchin Monk »

GDM528 wrote:And speaking of roast, the air coming out of a roaster is really (really) hot. It would melt the air filter in short order.
When I roasted with Fresh Roast and Behmor 1600 indoor, I've used turbo intercooler (yes, automotive parts) to cool the exhaust air and it worked. It's cumbersome but effective. That's an option if one must not have the vent to outside. I've used both air cooling and water cooling versions. The latter is smaller but needs more complicated connections and parts. In both cases, there needs to be a bit of suction at the exit in order to pull the air through the cooler. Hope this helps.

GDM528

#22: Post by GDM528 »

Capuchin Monk wrote:When I roasted with Fresh Roast and Behmor 1600 indoor, I've used turbo intercooler (yes, automotive parts) to cool the exhaust air and it worked.
OMG, that sounds totally awesome and hella-clever. Are there sharable photos of that?

Per the OP, there's a laser cutter in their office. That laser cutter is either venting outside, or into an air cleaner designed to remove both particulates and combustion gasses. If the roaster exhaust can be cooled enough (and I don't know what 'enough' is) then the filter could be shared between them. The filter would need to be replaced much more often, but it's other people's money, right?

Advertisement
TallDan

#23: Post by TallDan »

It seems like it would be helpful to better understand what the real goal of learning about coffee and roasting is. Is the intent to help people learn to roast and take that knowledge to get a job in the coffee industry? Is it to support coffee startups in the area? If either of those is the case, an ikawa probably isn't going to be as useful as a drum roaster.

Capuchin Monk

#24: Post by Capuchin Monk »

GDM528 wrote:Are there sharable photos of that?
This was the water cooled version. Yes, I used it in the bathroom.

I've used one of these with a small fan attached to it but it does heat up the room (good during winter, bad during summer).

Or you can try this which cools the exhaust little bit but takes out the chaff.

GDM528

#25: Post by GDM528 »

Capuchin Monk wrote:Yes, I used it in the bathroom.
Awesome - I salute you! Couldn't the toilet be used as a chaff collector? Just flush when you're done roasting...

Capuchin Monk

#26: Post by Capuchin Monk »

I kinda did (in the second link above). 8)