Rob Hoos' Tipping and its Avoidance: a Style Guide for Coffee Roasters (PDF) - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Brewzologist »

Chert wrote: I should study that pdf or othwrwise try to get an idea of best placement . Rather than 12 o'clock I had intended, the lower non-drilled mount is more like 6 o'clock and below the axis of rotation.
Thanks for testing this Flint. I toyed around with it by placing a probe up the backside of the roaster too, but I think the design of the Huky doesn't really allow for isolating incoming airflow from the burner so I didn't go anywhere with it. I mostly use ambient temp from my Phidget setup.

Chert

#22: Post by Chert »

Brewzologist wrote:Thanks for testing this Flint. I toyed around with it by placing a probe up the backside of the roaster too, but I think the design of the Huky doesn't really allow for isolating incoming airflow from the burner so I didn't go anywhere with it. I mostly use ambient temp from my Phidget setup.
I will hope some questions come up like that during the iteration session. I'm curious could you elaborate about the Huky airflow as you see it?

I had one In the outlet a couple years ago, but learned little from that
LMWDP #198

mkane
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by mkane »

$5 spent.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by Brewzologist »

Chert wrote:I will hope some questions come up like that during the iteration session. I'm curious could you elaborate about the Huky airflow as you see it? I had one In the outlet a couple years ago, but learned little from that
PM'd you so we don't hijack this thread.

Frankc1450

#25: Post by Frankc1450 »

>If you haven't checked out Rob's Iteration project, I highly recommend it https://www.iteration.coffee/

Thanks for the link! Rob's book is there in digital form for $20! That's a no-brainer, something I'm really good at.

:D

GC7

#26: Post by GC7 »

Frankc1450 wrote:>If you haven't checked out Rob's Iteration project, I highly recommend it https://www.iteration.coffee/
Rob's book is there in digital form for $20! That's a no-brainer, something I'm really good at.
Thank you for the information about Rob's book. I just picked up a digital copy and its in the printer now.

rmongiovi

#27: Post by rmongiovi »

Am I doing something wrong that tipping hasn't ever been an issue? Is it common?

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#28: Post by Milligan replying to rmongiovi »

May be a case of you don't know you have it until you start looking closely. Mild tipping doesn't present much in the cup, but we still strive for better roasts.

rmongiovi

#29: Post by rmongiovi »

No doubt. The pictures online seem hard to miss, but I presume it's a spectrum like most things. I doubt my palate is discriminating enough to notice.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by mkane »

I made a nice thermocouple bracket to measure incoming air. Temps are way behind, 300°thereabouts using a 5mm probe. I'll switch it to a 2mm unit that's lying somewhere here.

Using the latest Artisan software makes it very difficult to select the right 'extras'