Roasting approach to a Kenyan Peaberry - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#11: Post by cannonfodder »

Have some but I do not have roast profiles to post.

I give peaberry a longer drying phase, around 4-5 min in my drum roaster to ease the heat into the super dense bean and dry it. Then push up the temp a little to hit the first crack at around 8min mark then drop as soon as the first crack finishes, around the 9-10 min mark. I think if you hit it too hard with heat you can get some tipping in peaberry. The rapid drying overheats the extremities (ends) of the bean as the steam escapes and you end up with scorched coffee. But every roaster is a little different. Yes, it is good but think it makes a much better drip/brew cup than espresso.
Dave Stephens

Brewzologist (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by Brewzologist (original poster) »

First attempt. Will hit the gas harder initially the next time. I'll report back on taste after it has had some rest!

GC7

#13: Post by GC7 »

Brewzologist wrote:First attempt. Will hit the gas harder initially the next time. I'll report back on taste after some rest!
Steve

Trying to learn from your roast. Why do you want to add more heat initially in your next roast?

You got to first crack in less than 7 minutes with a nice declining ROR yet still had enough momentum to get 14% development in a minute.

Thanks for insights.

Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Brewzologist (original poster) »

Well, because the advice from others was hard/fast, and I think I got the 'fast' part but not the 'hard' part. So, the next time, I would like to try a max BT RoR of 40-45 F/min followed by a steeper decline still following the rest of the milestones as in this roast. Will it affect taste? Who knows... 8)

GC7

#15: Post by GC7 »

Makes sense. If you have a steeper decline, you have less momentum after first crack begins and you may have to go longer during development. I thought your momentum was pretty good on that first roast.

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Brewzologist (original poster) »

I made a pour-over this morning after resting the roast for ~5 days. Here are some taste impressions. Quite pleased and don't think I'll take this any darker, but may try a bit more heat upfront in the next roast to note any differences.

Aroma; flora and fruited. grape and plum come to mind, as does honeysuckle
Mouthfeel: clean, smooth. heavier than tea. like a very light, light syrup feel.
Acidity: pleasant and definitely Kenyan; that initial acid sensation when you bite into a ripe peach.
Sweetness/flavors: ripe plum and grape dominate. quite nice sweetness
Aftertaste: lingering, pleasant, sweet. makes me want to drink more!

Supporter ♡

#17: Post by Brewzologist (original poster) »

Shame this green is no longer available. I've realized this is a stand out coffee for 2021, which says a lot given the quality of greens I'm fortunate to have in my stock. And not hard to roast either.

Thought I'd report back on this as a reference for a future crop.

Supporter ♡

#18: Post by Brewzologist (original poster) »

SM just released another Kenya Nyeri Peaberry from the same co-op and a similar taste profile to the Gatomboya I've been roasting that is no longer available. I'm buying this new release too as the Gatomboya is one of my favorite coffees from 2021. Just passing on for anyone interested. Get it while it lasts. :wink:

https://www.sweetmarias.com/kenya-nyeri ... -6884.html

Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Brewzologist (original poster) »

Thought I'd post a follow-up roast profile for another Kenyan peaberry. I hit this roast with more gas up-front than my previous roast. IMO, it definitely takes (and needs?) heat up-front to penetrate the dense and compact bean, but was easy to control afterward. Looking forward to tasting this roast to compare to my other Kenyan Nyeri peaberry.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by mkane »

Good lookin curve. I can taste it from here. Thanks