Roast Profiles Colombia & Ethiopia

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
BattleAx

#1: Post by BattleAx »

Hi I roast two bathes today. I changed my charge temp to 385. Colombia and Ethiopia 300ga in the Huky 500. Can you guys take a look at these profiles and let me know what I can do to improve the roasts.The help from the old post really helped to slow down this roast. The Ethiopia roast the vent tub clogged up I think it should be ok me and my wife will see how it taste. Next time after each roast I will use the shop-vac to make sure the vent tub is not clogged up.
Thank you guys for the help.

Trjelenc

#2: Post by Trjelenc »

So your middle phase is maybe on the longer side, however your "dry end" point seems pretty early, but thats a very subjective judgment call. I usually wait to call it when I practically see no more green and the smell starts to get toasty bready and less "green", which is around 325F +/- 5 on mine

Honestly surprises me you are getting first crack around 380. Most of us on Huky's get it around 400.

Capuchin Monk

#3: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Trjelenc wrote:Honestly surprises me you are getting first crack around 380. Most of us on Huky's get it around 400.
There are coffee beans that won't crack until 400d F? :shock: Or is it the way Huky is set up?

BattleAx (original poster)

#4: Post by BattleAx (original poster) »

Thank You

chuckcoffee

#5: Post by chuckcoffee »

Trjelenc wrote:So your middle phase is maybe on the longer side, however your "dry end" point seems pretty early, but thats a very subjective judgment call. I usually wait to call it when I practically see no more green and the smell starts to get toasty bready and less "green", which is around 325F +/- 5 on mine

Honestly surprises me you are getting first crack around 380. Most of us on Huky's get it around 400.
I am on Huky and my first crack is 385-390 pretty consistently. I replaced the bean thermocouple with a 2/3 RTD so thinking that can have an impact. I count 1st crack usually once I am hearing the 5 th crack and they are in succession within 1 second. Numbers were so consistent I had Artisan automatically mark FC at 390 since I was prone to forgetting to mark it manually. I will in some cases mark it earlier if it occurs before 390.

Trjelenc

#6: Post by Trjelenc »

Capuchin Monk wrote:There are coffee beans that won't crack until 400d F? :shock: Or is it the way Huky is set up?
Something about the Huky but its dependent on probes and whatnot. Not all Huky users get this but it's been a trend I've noticed between here, /r/roasting, and the old Huky forums.

Remember, the temps you see while roasting are just the temperature of the probe at that point in time. I have the thinner TC probes Mr Li was offering, I think they're 2.5mm? It's real consistent for me, waiting to hear multiple pops in quick succession, always happens between 397 and 405F.

This is the reason that it's virtually meaningless when people cite drop temps without saying what temp they read at first crack.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Brewzologist »

Some comments on probe temps;

1) You can immerse your probes in both an ice slurry and boiling water to see if you might want to add a calibration offset in Artisan.
2) Different probe sizes/types can definitely affect the resulting temps. This is true of any roaster and not unique to the Huky. Interesting article here: Our world through a keyhole
3) Drum speed and charge size can affect BT temp reading if the probe is/isn't fully immersed in the bean pile. On my Huky I made a plexiglass front plate and loaded it with greens at different charge sizes so I could see how covered the BT probe was. I settled on ~70RPM and min. charge size at least 300g.

That said, with my Huky and RTD probes, FCs is almost always somewhere between 380-385F with no calibration offset needed.

Finally, the most important thing as others have mentioned is developing your own method of consistently marking FCs, and when discussing results do it in terms of offsets from roasting events (DE, FCs, etc) and not actual temps. eg. "dropped at FCs + 15F"