Roast Length for Aged & Monsooned

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
kahu

#1: Post by kahu »

I have the Gene Cafe and tend keep it high to bring coffees up to the beginning of 1st crack (10 mins), then turn down to 455-460 to finish the roast, per recommendation of Sweet Marias. FC+ usually ends up at 15-17 minutes with manual stop and external fast cooling.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Indos and MMS tend to have high water content, so a minute longer warm up (up to bean temp of 300F) is a good idea. Drawing out the time from 300 to first crack isn't so brilliant, since it will accentuate the woody flavors. Where drawing out pays out with these is after the first crack (above 390 to 400 bean temp). This will lower the environmental temperatures and lower the second crack temperatures. You want to go to a rolling second for these.

With a commercial drum, lower the drop in, higher heat than usual to the first, than back off the heat more than usual. If you have an airroaster, you'll need to bean temp and variable heat, in which case you can follow the profile directly.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
kahu (original poster)

#3: Post by kahu (original poster) »

I have to say the Monsooned aromas while roasting are the most beguiling of the dozen or so types of beans I've home-roasted so far.

hbuchtel

#4: Post by hbuchtel »

kahu wrote:On a related note, I have to say the Monsooned aromas while roasting are the most beguiling of the dozen or so types of beans I've roasted so far.
I've noticed that too! A real sweetness around 1st crack, right?

Henry
LMWDP #53

kahu (original poster)

#5: Post by kahu (original poster) »

Hi Henry,

Yeah, but it's more than a sweetness, something that makes you sort of sit up and say, hey, now that's different! No doubt it's all the mysterious aromas the beans pick up over that year of aging.

Jeff