Roast and Learn Together - Schedule

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

Thought it might be helpful to keep track of months/facilitators/coffees so we remain on task. I will keep this current so we have a good idea of rotation, origins done, vendors:

Jim Schulman wishes to grab a month - pending commitment.

Oct 2014 - open
Sept 2014 - Creative Nickname/EricCimmaron, Sumatra (CoffeeShrub)
August 2014 - BoldJava/Kenya Kirinyaga Kiangoi AA (SM's)
July 2014 - BoldJava/Yemen Ismali (SM's)
June 2014 - TomC/Ethiopian Dereje Station (SM's)
May 2014 - BoldJava/Bolivian FTO, Titirico farmed (Invalsa)
Apr 2014 - boar-d-laze/Ethiopia Danch Meng/(Bodhi Leaf)
Mar 2014 - boar-d-laze/El Salvador BN23 Bourbon (Bodhi Leaf)
Feb 2014 - boar-d-laze/Kenyan PB (Klatch)
Jan 2014 - boar-d-laze, Costa Rican Honey (Klatch)
-----
LMWDP #339

[creative nickname]

#2: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'm currently kicking around a few possibilities for a coffee for September, but I'm also open to suggestions. If anyone wants to recommend something for us to explore, feel free to either post a suggestion here or send me a PM. The sooner the better, however, because I'm going to want to roast some samples before committing us all to a particular choice.
LMWDP #435

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

I'd hope we don't make it through this whole year and not profile an amazing Kenyan.

I had a few brief moments with George Howell yestereday at Coffee-Con, and he (with a great deal of ethusiasm) raved about this years Kenyan coffees they're finding.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

rgrosz

#4: Post by rgrosz replying to TomC »

B|Java is doing one for August, and we did an amazing Kenyan in February - I am still loving it!
http://www.klatchroasting.com/Green_Mut ... en_mut.htm
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC replying to rgrosz »

February's wasn't that spectacular, especially at that price. No knocks on Klatch or BDL, the current crop ( of Kenyan Specialty Coffee) however has been highly praised and recommended. When someone like George Howell waxes poetic about one countries crop over preceeding years, it stands out in my mind to take note.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Boldjava (original poster)

#6: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

[creative nickname] wrote:I'm currently kicking around a few possibilities for a coffee for September, but I'm also open to suggestions. . .
If you are open to arranging a mini-distribution for members, you can grab 50 lbs of a great coffee from Shrub. I watch them for coffees not offered over at SMs and find their coffees at the top of the heap. (http://coffeeshrub.com/). Shoot Chris Schooley an email, tell him what you are up to for September, and ask for a dy-no-mite bean for the Home-Barista board. Bet he responds.

If you need any off-line assistance on the logistics of distribution, just shout. It isn't that tough for 50 lbs. Any leftovers, just move in the vending section of the GCBC forum.
-----
LMWDP #339

boar_d_laze

#7: Post by boar_d_laze »

If there's any interest in the group, I wouldn't mind taking another month this winter. This year's El Salvadorian crop has produced some amazing beans, and it might be fun exploring it.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Boldjava (original poster)

#8: Post by Boldjava (original poster) replying to boar_d_laze »

Name your month and it is yours. I second the excellent year on Salvadoran crop from those I have had.
-----
LMWDP #339

Intrepid510

#9: Post by Intrepid510 »

Is there anyway we might be able to incorporate a roasted coffee swap too for those that are interested?

[creative nickname]

#10: Post by [creative nickname] »

I would love to organize a swap during my month. I think it would be fun, and I think I could learn a lot by swapping roasts and comparing the results of different profiles and different equipment.
LMWDP #435