Roast and Learn Together - November 2013 - Page 16

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
tamarian

#151: Post by tamarian »

Italyhound wrote:Thanks, tamarian. I still have a lb left, and will use your useful data in the next roast.

Did you brew any of these, or only pulled shots?
I'll spare the S1 sample (just 2 shots worth) for espresso, but will brew S2 and S3 to see what's there, since I didn't like them as espresso.

johnlyn

#152: Post by johnlyn »

I didn't get a chance to cup my second round of roasts, busy performance weekend. But I am pulling shots. I attempted to recreate my previous roasts. At C+ I could brew and get berry truffle again, but I can't yet get out of the shot, just plain acidity, nice, but not complete. At full city the brew is nice, not as bright as the previous, but the shot is beautiful in mouthfeel and has an exquisite and rich dark chocolate flavour that lingers in the after taste. Tomorrow I'll try the FC+/Vienna in the espresso machine, brewed it kept the dark roast person happy at work, that's all there is to say about that one.

One last post on the Guat.... Bring on the Ethiopian! New thread maybe?

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#153: Post by TomC »

Yes, it will be a new thread.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

pShoe

#154: Post by pShoe »

johnlyn wrote:One last post on the Guat.... Bring on the Ethiopian! New thread maybe?
I have a couple pounds left and want to take at least 1 more go at it before I start the Dec. coffee. I'll likely roast both my next session.

I want to try some very fast roasts. I'm thinking a 3 min dry time, and than as fast as possible ramp to first, and a 2 min development to EoR. My Quest's drum is now painted, so I believe the ramp to first can be faster than I could do before.

I've been reading some threads here about skipping the drying phase, or at least combining it with the ramp to first phase. Anyone experimented with that for this coffee?

Boldjava (original poster)

#155: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

pShoe wrote:I have a couple pounds left and want to take at least 1 more go at it before I start the Dec. coffee. I'll likely roast both my next session.
We will keep this thread open so folks can continue. As Tom indicates, he will start a new one for December's coffee.

We have two volunteers for Jan and Feb and they are working on arranging the coffees from one vendor to optimize shipping. Stay tuned.

During December, I will glean all the abbreviations used in the thread (ie, BMT) and consolidate them. We can start a master definition post as I know I surely didn't recognize all of them.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

TomC
Team HB

#156: Post by TomC »

I was thinking we should have a final summary of the most concrete concepts and suggestions gathered as a last post by the OP, just a summary that will make this learning chance easier to digest and get some bullet points of what to look out for, what to avoid, etc.. etc...

I'll do the same when the December coffee gets to it's end.

#157: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

TomC wrote:I was thinking we should have a final summary of the most concrete concepts and suggestions gathered as a last post by the OP...
Easy for you to suggest <grins>.

Let me burn through the posts today/tomorrow and wrap it up by Dec 15th. Gives the stragglers a chance to finish.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#158: Post by TomC »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

johnlyn

#159: Post by johnlyn »

Awesome!

#160: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

So what did we learn? We would all have our responses but I will attempt to summarize some points that I gleaned:

1. Common language is needed. See this linked post for abbreviations and definitions and see if you can't use them to facilitate communication. Roasting and Learning Together - Terms and Definitions
2. We vary is our ability to control a roast's profile based on what kind of unit we are using. Plug and plays offer the least; shop production units (1 lb, 1 kilo) offer the most.
3. Some begin pegging profiles by pushing into 2nd crack for the first roast and then backing up on next roasts. Some prefer to drop after 1C ends and then adding time. More than one way to skin a bean.
4. We can't seem to agree on when a bean caramelizes.
5. There is a tremendous amount of collective knowledge on this thread.
6. There is so much to learn. Group seems to be very aware of what they don't know as well as what they do know and are willing to admit it. Group shares well -- questions are encouraged and responded to.
7. Folks are beginning to cup/evaluate their coffee and then tweaking the roast to achieve a different/desired result.
8. Lots of us have the itch to step up to a shop/production roaster.
9. Centrigrade/Fahrenhite - two systems of measuring heat don't assist us in working together.
10. Our ability to stretch beyond 1C and nearing second without baking the roast significantly varies with our equipment.
11. Our equipment, our ability to use it, and our profiles result in different tasting coffee. We won't be seeing uniformity and if we did, all we are doing is copying Sweetmaria's notes.

Well done folks.
-----
LMWDP #339