Roast and Learn Together - May 2014

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

I have grabbed the selection for May. TomC will be covering June.

I selected an organic micro-lot from Bolivia. Coffees from Bolivia are unheralded. Some of my favorite cups over the years have been micro-lots from Invalsa, Nelson Valverde. I have distributed Nelson's micro-lots and have never had a bad sample. Don't worry about his scoring -- he scribes "85+" on all his micro-lots and they have always been 87.5/89.0 coffees on my palate.

I have chosen a micro-lot from Jacinto Titirico. Notes on the cup are: "Cinnamon aroma. Nice, sweet, light fruity orange flavor, full body with an elegant character and a floral aftertaste, good acidity, flavors of chocolate and papaya." (http://invalsacoffee.com/collections/mi ... j-titirico). I bought 66 lbs this evening.

You may order:
* directly from Invalsa, as little as one pound at $7.73/lb or
* 2.5 lbs, from me at cost ($5.00/lb), plus $1.50 for bag/supplies. I would ship flat rate envelope, $5.70, adding PayPal fees, for a total of $20.60. PM me if interested by May 10th.
* as many pounds as you wish, 5 lbs or more, from me at cost ($5.00/lb) plus $.50/pound, PayPal fees, and flat rate box/insurance. PM me if interested by May 10th.

If you order from directly from Invalsa, I encourage you to try several micro-lots. They are worth it.

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
BoldJava

-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava (original poster)

#2: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Remember, if you order from me, the expectation is that you participate in the thread, sharing your experiences and learnings. Glad to do this but the purpose is not to distribute greens but to "roast and learn" together. Thanks.
-----
LMWDP #339

#3: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Just received the FedEx tracking data from Invalsa. Greens will be on the porch by Thurs. I will get them out this weekend. USPS gives excellent service on flat rates and some of you will have them by Monday. When I ship, you will receive an email from USPS which will contain your tracking data.

Grown at 5300 feet, in the Caranavi region of Bolivia.

"The Caranavi province is where 90% of Bolivian coffee is grown. In order to get from La Paz to Caranavi, you have to drive on the "Most Dangerous Road in the World", which is indeed extremely dangerous, although scenic. Invalsa staff drive to and from Caranavi on this road many times almost every week, especially during coffee season..." http://www.furnacehillscoffee.com/blog/ ... omes-from/

-----
LMWDP #339

#4: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

The coffee is on the FedEx truck for home delivery today. I am busy today but will get out paid orders this weekend. Enjoy, Dave
-----
LMWDP #339

#5: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

In the house, 3 10-kilo vacpax. Sa-weet. At this point of obtaining coffee, I think of all the hands, time, and distances/places the coffee has traveled. You are next.

-----
LMWDP #339

[creative nickname]

#6: Post by [creative nickname] »

Woo-hoo! Can't wait to give this one a try.
LMWDP #435

#7: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

I will be shipping all paid coffees today. You should have received an email with USPS tracking data. Data will become active once the postman scans this afternoon.

If interested in joining in with us, yell by May 10th via PM. After that, remainder (45 lbs) will move to GCBC.
-----
LMWDP #339

#8: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Just looooooove the smell when you cut into a vacpax. Excellent prep, 16-17s.

-----
LMWDP #339

#9: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Just spot checked a couple of Saturday mailings and it appears you will have some Jacinto Titirico on your porches today.

I have plenty to play with and hope to roast tomorrow while the sourdough rises. Roast and enjoy,

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

#10: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

28 lbs remain. Order by Sat, May 10th at the latest.
-----
LMWDP #339