Roast and Learn Together - March 2014 - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
johnlyn

#71: Post by johnlyn »

Ok... Behemor guy here feeling humble. I read through all this and it really sets me up well for what I want to do with the bean. Problem, there is only so much I can do. Really I am down to charge and time. None the less, it gives me ideas as to how the bean is performing on machines with more control, and then i work my charge and decide the time to drop.

Thank AGAIN for the stellar choice of bean and discovery of yet another distributor.

So i'll make the description quick since I am damn late in the game.

12 oz charge dropped 30 sec past 1Ce. No graphs, no temps, just envy. One aspect of note, this bean had the most pleasant aroma during roasting that I have ever experienced, it was sweeter, richer maybe reminiscent of baking bread. No cupping this time, brewed 24 hours later. Unbelievable! I primarily get lychee and carob, with a smooth mouthfeel and a pleasant lingering after tast. My appreciative coworker hasn't had carob and he senses a lightly spiced chocolate and a fruit that he can't quite identify. I can't wait to see how it matures.... Wow!

Tomorrow after 48 hours, the espresso roast. 12 oz, 55 sec after 1Ce. Bring it on!

Boldjava

#72: Post by Boldjava »

johnlyn wrote:...
So i'll make the description quick since I am damn late in the game...
Ditto. I will be roasting it this week. Still an active thread.
-----
LMWDP #339

jkyano

#73: Post by jkyano »

I'm also on the Behmor. Here are the setting and amounts I used:

El Salvador BN23 180 g to start, 156 g finish (13.33% wt loss
Pre-heat 2 min P1, 1/4 lb
Profile: P3, D, 1/2 lb (15:00 min)
From the notes it went for about 13.5 min, I let if go for about 1 min 30 sec after a rolling FC. It had just started to settle down. No oil, but beans were darker than I would have expected for only 13.33% wt loss.

24-48 hours post roast: 12 to 1 brew ratio in a chemex pour over.

Initially I got lots of fruit, possibly the lechee, a bit on the bitter side. Mouth feel was smooth and a bit syrupy. After a few days the bitterness subsided and it was sweet and fruity. I like my coffees a bit on the bright side for pour overs and this one had the right amount of brightness without the under roasted grassyness.

UseIt4Toddy

#74: Post by UseIt4Toddy »

Rich, are we posting April's results on in this thread, or is there a April-only discussion that I'm missing? Did a couple roasts of the Ethiopian over the weekend, and figured I'd post the results earlier rather than later. Understand the spring roast comp is a distraction this week. Cheers, Alex

Boldjava

#75: Post by Boldjava »

UseIt4Toddy wrote:Rich, are we posting April's results on in this thread..
Alex, ready when you are over here -> Roast and Learn Together - April 2014
-----
LMWDP #339

UseIt4Toddy

#76: Post by UseIt4Toddy replying to Boldjava »

Cool, Rich, thanks! Will try to do a write up over a cup of it tomorrow morning. (Been meaning to drop you a note about my visit to Kopplin's last month. Thanks again for the recommendation.) Cheers, Alex

pShoe

#77: Post by pShoe »

This profile worked well for espresso. I didn't take notes, and it's been to long to recall memory other than it worked.

pShoe

#78: Post by pShoe »

I've had this coffee from 3 roasters: Bodhi Leaf, Rich (boar_d_laze), and myself. They were all more similar than different, but there were good differences nonetheless. This made me appreciate that a roaster can positively impact a coffee.

Rich's roast had a complexity I did not sense otherwise. The ground coffee had more malic notes than BL's or mine, and with a bit of spice. He roasted quite a bit lighter than me for espresso, and it took a few adjustment to get it dialed in (lowered my dose quite a bit). The fruit notes made their way into the cup. At the lower doses and lower volumes (ristretto range) it was sweet with tart pear coating the mouth and some raspberry.

In short, it had nice fruit flavor with no maillard, nuts or carmel flavors to speak of. This is what I have come to expect from this coffee and had similar shots, but not as pronounced or complex. I got a lot of plum, and not much else (in brew/espresso roasts, and BL's brewed).

The most impressive test... My GF does not do straight espresso, but I get her to try them from time to time (begrudgingly). Rarely does she like it. She tasted an espresso from Rich's roast and said "that is good." That is pretty big deal coming from her, so Kudos on that. I learned quite a bit this month.

johnlyn

#79: Post by johnlyn »

This coffee is unbelievable. QUite frankly, the best I've had and being on a behemor I may not be even getting the most out of it. COmplex for sure, and is exceptional both as a brew and for espresso. Espresso, creamy miuthfeel, complexity that gets my attention, background of carob/slight dark chocolate almost with a spicing and fruit notes that are hard to describe. I'm gonna say, if you toned down the acidity and sweetness on a grapefruit, throw in some lychee and might be getting close.

As a brew at the office this coffee commands attention every single time. It absolutely refuses to be taken fro granted and I simply comply....

johnlyn

#80: Post by johnlyn »

After exceptional espresso at home I brew a pot at the office (on a bonavita), and the complexity is crazy. It is now day 8 and this coffee is still peaking. This morning there are glimpses of rasberry and flavors of toasted almond. I am glad i bought ten lbs of this one and wish I had purchased 20.