Roast and Learn Together - June 2015 - Page 10

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jalpert

#91: Post by jalpert »

FYI both of my seemingly under-developed roasts are now drinkable and quite pleasant. Good sweetness, berry flavors. It only took 2 weeks of choking down beef broth to get there.

brianmch

#92: Post by brianmch »

Thanks for your help BrianL and Yakster, I tried to implement your suggestions.

6 min on P5, 2 min on P4 until 1C started, 1C for 2 min pn P4, 30 sec after that I pulled. Opened door, cooling cycle, 9" table fan blowing chaff all over my garage.

Got some nice feedback on a roast of this at a cupping Saturday 5 days post roast Kinda sweet, medium + acidity, decent body. Modest finish length with hint of grapefruit. Brewed in a Clever to standardize pour-over.

marista

#93: Post by marista »

so tonight i decided to try a different profile on this coffee, in an attempt to vaguely mimic how the nords do it. Its probably still some way off from how they do it, but its lighter than i usually do and less development time.

decided to try this based on the first profile i posted earlier in the thread. FC timing was kept the same, my settings only differed for development. during the first profile, i lowered the heat settings to slow the roast during development. in this third profile, i decided to try maximum airflow for a minute and a minor lowering of the heat only to reach a similar drop temperature within a shorter time. (so in essence, a faster RoR and higher airflow for a longer period during development)
dominant taste notes in the initial profile were blackcurrant, lemon and a hint of cloves in the finish, both when brewed and cupped. i have only dry cupped this third batch but am fairly confident its an improvement on the first.

profile specifics as follows:

Roast date: 22nd June
Dry/Ramp/Development: 4:27 / 3:57 / 1:39 (FC 8:24, total roast time 10:03)
Development-time ratio: 16%
Weight loss: 12.4%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsglq00e358sd ... 5.png?dl=0
here's an image of the profile uploaded to dropbox, since i am unable to upload images for some reason..

cupped the first and third profiles side by side today. here are my impressions:
1 had more body, and a slightly more bitter finish than profile 3. profile 3 retained a lot of sweetness, without the bitter-ish finish of profile 1. acidity was bright but not excessively sharp. leaves a sweet finish on the palate. tastes like straight up blackcurrant juice as well. lemon note also present but more like a lemon candy sort of presence, sweet and not sharp.

3 did not exhibit any grassiness or vegetal notes that i feared might show up, and to be sure i let both cups cool for almost 40 minutes before cupping to make absolutely sure no such notes came up. crust wise, profile 3 had a decent crust that only just slightly began to sink at the 4 minute mark. however, it did not break itself by the 4th minute (phew) which would indicate some development issues. as you probably can tell, i'm extremely satisfied with the results of this experiment. :mrgreen:

chaffshaker

#94: Post by chaffshaker »

Second roast, and I charged hotter to try to wrap up the roast more quickly. I also cut the weight to work on the same goal.

Results after a 5 day rest as espresso: Bright, distinctive grapefruit acidity with a black tea like tannic finish. A very nice SO espresso, and preferable to my previous roast. No savory notes, though I felt I was picking them out in the dry aroma.

johnny4lsu

#95: Post by johnny4lsu »

Our month is quickly coming to an end...Sorry, I've been absent this past week on vacation..Awesome time, but little coffee and no roasting...Boooo

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#96: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to johnny4lsu »

It has gone by super quick. I've been roasting so many samples of various coffees that I never got to spend much time on this one besides my first two. I'm still working out July, trying to get something interesting and new for folks to chat about. There may be a delay on it, but it won't be the end of the world.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

johnny4lsu

#97: Post by johnny4lsu »

Talk about fast!

Well, I can't for the life of me find my 5th profile. I must not have saved it. I decided to take it much darker than I'm used to and dropped around 420 or so. This brought out some deep wine and berry notes. I actually really enjoyed it. But, it's not a roast that I could drink all the time simply because I'm not a big fan of roast notes.

It was a pleasure roasting with you guys this month and thanks to Tom and all the admin for bringing us this awesome forum. I've learned so much here and look forward to continuing my education on HB :)

jalpert

#98: Post by jalpert »

Alright, it's June 30, time to post.

My last profile was the best I've done so far with this bean. This Kenya is really acidic, and without significant development it was just overpowering to me. With an exaggerated fast-start-slow-finish profile at 25% development, I felt I was able to tame it to a delicious level. Great backbone of mid-palate acidity, with berry flavors and candy sweetness throughout. This thing actually performs better in my Aeropress than it does as a pour-over.

For any other Huky users, I gave it a good, hot direct fire through drying, then closed the vents on my perforated drum for the rest of the roast. That seems to work quite well.

chaffshaker

#99: Post by chaffshaker »

I'm going to agree that my longer/darker roasts showed this bean best, especially for espresso. While I definitely learned something from the process, I look forward to a different product next round. (And I'm definitely IN!)

NoStream

#100: Post by NoStream »

I wound up updating my post (#31) over the past couple days. I still need to try my final profile as espresso.

As noted on that post, I didn't wind up terribly impressed with this coffee - nice and bright but not terribly sweet.

As also noted, it's interesting to note that this coffee can taste savory - not underdeveloped but like sundried tomato, umami, etc. - when overextracted. And that wound up confusing me and making me question whether I'd really developed it properly. Now obviously those flavors are common in Kenyas, but it's interesting to see them crop up moreso at higher extraction yields.