Roast and Learn Together - June 2014 - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Intrepid510

#41: Post by Intrepid510 »

bmock wrote:So how did it develop?

I did a 180gram batch on my behmor. p1 1/2lb setting. drying ended around 5:30ish, first crack around 9:30 dropped at 11:00. 13.9% weight loss. Looking forward to tasting.
Meh on that roast. No sweetness in the cup.

I have done one roast that I do like. At work so don't have my notes, but basically it was 227g p1 1lb. Cooled like 1 min through first crack while it was cracking, much better. More tea like, tropical fruit, sugar cane sweetness. Still not great tho, but at least good.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#42: Post by TomC (original poster) »

This coffee had bucket loads of sugary sweetness and clean fruit. I just think it needs a fast, hard hitting roast profile that's kept pretty short. I never got too excited about Behmor roasts of tricky Ethiopian coffees.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bean2friends

#43: Post by bean2friends »

I have a pound and a half left. Good for one more good roast. I plan to go hard and fast and stop 1 1/2 minutes after 1cs. It's not the kind of roast I typically favor, but I don't do this roast and learn to just do what I'm comfortable with. I want to get some of that sweetness. Actually, the tomatoes I get so far are sweet, it's just that they're, well, tomatoes. I prefer other fruits. I got my July beans today too so I'm gonna be doing some roasting this weekend I think.

Boldjava

#44: Post by Boldjava »

bean2friends wrote:...Actually, the tomatoes I get so far are sweet, it's just that they're, well, tomatoes...
Stewed tomatoes?
-----
LMWDP #339

bean2friends

#45: Post by bean2friends replying to Boldjava »

Yeah, I think so. When I was a boy my mother would make stewed tomatoes often as a vegetable. My dad like them, or so he said. Me, not so much. A little sugar would improve them for me. But, yes, in fact, just grinding these beans made the whole house smell of stewed tomatoes.

Boldjava

#46: Post by Boldjava »

I get stewed tomatoes in some of the savory coffees. I remember how I laughed the first time someone used the descriptor. I will look for it in this.
-----
LMWDP #339

bmock

#47: Post by bmock »

TomC wrote:This coffee had bucket loads of sugary sweetness and clean fruit. I just think it needs a fast, hard hitting roast profile that's kept pretty short. I never got too excited about Behmor roasts of tricky Ethiopian coffees.
Interesting, I use a behmor, and wasnt blown away by this bean either, I will try a hot and fast roast and see what happens. I am liking the roast I've been getting with the DP Aricha, loads of fruit in that one.

bean2friends

#48: Post by bean2friends »

I got pretty much the roast I was looking for today. 1cs at 8:25. stopped the roast at 10:22. I actually intended to go only 1:30 past 1cs but at 9:55 I was getting a very slow BT rise so I let it go a little longer. This looks like a very nice City+ roast. And it was 23 degrees past 1cs for the BT. I was surprised that it was only 11% weight loss. My whole experience with this bean is here: Roast and Learn Together - June 2014

bean2friends

#49: Post by bean2friends »

My last update for June 9. Bottom line - the stewed tomatoes are gone.

Boldjava

#50: Post by Boldjava »

Roasting
Bean: Very nice prep.
WP (72 hours, Kenyan style WP)
Elevation: 2000m
Gene Cafe, 226g charge, 119.0v.
• 1C: 10.45
• Pull: 13:55
• Ended with full city
• Very light chaff (extended wash?)

Protracted 1C, full 2 min. Roast moved along uniformly.

Evaluation
• Fragrance - sweetened cinnamon
• Aroma - sweet roasted grains
• Flavors/nuances - sweet, lemon lime at the back of the tongue, slight melon, soft peach (or is that mango?).
• Body/mouthfeel - light cup, delicate, crystal clean.
• Finish/Aftertaste - True to cup. Sweetness lingers.

Score: 88
----Grading system
88 and above: Superb coffee
87: Outstanding coffee
86.5: Buy range, distribution worthy
86.0: If I needed the origin, I would buy it
85.0: Missing an element
84.0: Specialty coffee but not recommended
80-83: Coffee
79 and below: Standard coffee

Comments/Observations
An outstanding coffee that wouldn't be my cup of choice. Immaculately clean, nice sweet WP Yirge
-----
LMWDP #339