Roast and Learn Together - June 2014 - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava

#31: Post by Boldjava »

Erik, check back periodically. You will see a new thread, "Roast...July 2014" with ordering instructions. Welcome. Love your roasting equipment.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#32: Post by Boldjava »

Jeremy, Johnny, Erik, welcome all.

As he mentions, by default, Tom, Boar, and I have been selecting the coffees. I have a coffee in mind for July and will post by Monday at the latest. It will be a new thread for July (I haven't roasted June's yet - grins).

Glad to have other members "raise their hand" and take a turn at facilitating. We are all big boys (and girls) and the threads flow without a great deal of steering. About 10-12 of us participate on any given month. The idea is to learn together and no one is the esteemed expert. Just give and take from lessons extended by one another.

This was never intended to be a top-down thread. Have at it. Volunteer's job is to:

1) pick a coffee for a particular month, giving the group some lead time,
2) facilitate the discussion/keep us on track, only as needed, and
3) monitor the thread and encourage folks to "bundle" roasting profile, equipment used, and cupping notes into one post. Helps for easy "readership."

Any member who is comfortable with those should sing out on this thread and a month will be yours. Just make sure it is current crop and keep price reasonable. Trust that helps.
-----
LMWDP #339

rgrosz

#33: Post by rgrosz »

rgrosz wrote:I just ordered eight pounds of greens from Sweet Maria's. Looking forward to learning more good stuff :)
I won't be doing the June Roast & Learn after all. I was putting together my notes for roasting tomorrow, and discovered that I ordered the wrong coffee (Ethiopia Deri Kochowa - Kifle Station). :cry:
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

bean2friends

#34: Post by bean2friends replying to rgrosz »

I have a son who's a high school English teacher. This looks like a good opportunity for a compare and contrast.

bmock

#35: Post by bmock »

Intrepid510 wrote:Behmor P1 1lb setting with a charge of 227 g. First crack at 11 minutes. Wait 15 seconds to let the first crack roll a little bit, and open door for 10 seconds, wait 45 s, open again for 10 s. Drop at 13.5 minutes.

Behmor P1 1lb setting with a charge of 227 g. First crack at 11.25 minutes. Wait 15 seconds to let the first crack roll a little bit, and open door for 15 seconds, wait 45 s, open again for 10 s. Drop at 13 minutes.

Both roasts had a similar taste to them, a slight sweet fruit flavor and then a baker's chocolate finish.

Nothing really to write home about, and have not been liking the lack of sweetness that I have been getting with roast. I am going to have to try something different with my next attempt. I think I would like to drop them a little sooner to keep some of the fruit taste from moving to coco.
=================================================================
Second go. Behmor P1 1lb setting with a charge of 227 g. 2 inch block under the front of the Behmor. First Crack at 10 minutes. Open door for 15s at 45 s into first crack and then for 15 s 1:30 in crack. And then hit cool at total time for roast 11m 45s.

Was out of coffee, so I gave it go this morning in the V60 12 hours post roast. Much better. Same general tastes, but sweeter. Bakers chocolate is now semi-sweet. Looking forward to how it develops.

So how did it develop?

I did a 180gram batch on my behmor. p1 1/2lb setting. drying ended around 5:30ish, first crack around 9:30 dropped at 11:00. 13.9% weight loss. Looking forward to tasting.

Boldjava

#36: Post by Boldjava »

Hey stragglers. Time to finish this month up. Join me in the mad dash to the finish line. Roasting this evening,
B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

bean2friends

#37: Post by bean2friends »

Just keep checking back Erik. Actually, there's already a Roast and Learn Together - July 2014 thread. Get the beans and roast em and report your results there. Now that the beans have been announced you can probably roast whenever you're ready.

Boldjava

#38: Post by Boldjava »

Roasting:
Bean: Very nice prep.
WP (72 hours, Kenyan style WP)
Elevation: 2000m
Gene Cafe, 226g charge, 119.0v.
• 1C: 10.45
• Pull: 13:55
• Ended with full city
• Very light chaff (extended wash?)

Protracted 1C, full 2 min. Roast moved along uniformly.

Will cup in about 4 days. Stretched it longer than I typically do as I wish to play with it as espresso prep.
-----
LMWDP #339

MrPootywinkle

#39: Post by MrPootywinkle »

bean2friends wrote:Just keep checking back Erik. Actually, there's already a Roast and Learn Together - July 2014 thread. Get the beans and roast em and report your results there. Now that the beans have been announced you can probably roast whenever you're ready.
Thanks - I have five lbs and am planning on roasting tomorrow for a July 4th cupping session. Will definitely post results.

bean2friends

#40: Post by bean2friends »

My whole experience with this coffee is in my 6/9 post. Here's the latest:
7/3 - 20 grams of the 6/27 medium dark roast, 335 grams 200 degree water, 4 minutes in bonavita coffee dripper. Grounds smelled of tomato soup. Coffee was ok - pleasant acidity. This is not my favorite coffee. I like a sweeter coffee than I could get at any roast level I tried. I'm looking forward to the July coffee.