Roast and Learn Together - June 2014 - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
bean2friends

#21: Post by bean2friends »

6/9 - First profile. I did my first roast of this Sidama Dereje station Ethiopian today. A perfect day for roasting on my 4 pound RK drum in my Weber 36000 Btu, 3 burner gas grill. 70 degrees and no wind. I have a K type thermocouple that gives me a pretty reliable bean temperature with 2 pound charges, so I bought 4 pounds of these beans thinking that would give me 2 tries. But then today I thought I'd try again with just a 1 pound charge to more closely approximate the times and temperatures I see others getting. I'm pretty happy with the result so far. Here's what I did:
1 pound charge into the grill preheated to 400F.
BT of 326 at 5 minutes (I figure my bean temps run about 25 degrees high so I use 325 as end of dry - can't see with and RK drum, alas!)
BT 410F at 8:34 - that was about a minute faster than I wanted. I use 410 as my assumed 1st crack temp - however, I didn't hear FCs till 8:50 with a BT of 417F.
FCe at 10:42, BT 432F
Color City - Weight loss 14.375% THis is a pretty roast and it already smells good. I'm excited about it and will try it in a day or 2.
July 5, 2014: I got pretty much the roast I was looking for today. 1cs at 8:25. stopped the roast at 10:22. I actually intended to go only 1:30 past 1cs but at 9:55 I was getting a very slow BT rise so I let it go a little longer. This looks like a very nice City+ roast. And it was 23 degrees past 1cs for the BT. I was surprised that it was only 11% weight loss. I'll try this in a few days.
6/10 -Next Day tasting: So, about 20 hours after roast, I tasted this in a Kalita Wave pour over - grounds had a smell of ripe tomatoes. With hot water the tomato smell continued and the taste too. Not especially sweet and so far none of the tropical fruit. Now that the tomatoes are with me, I'll be able to resist the temptation to try again real soon.

6/12 - 3 days post roast: French Press with 60 grams coffee, 1 liter 203F water - a much tastier brew. Grounds smelled of light brown sugar. wet coffee I got a smell of banana skins and perhaps some nut and maybe some allspice. The coffee when hot was nicely balanced between acidity and sweetness, although I could not identify the acidity more specifically.

6/27 - Roasted 1 1/2 pounds today. 320F at 5 minutes. 1cs at 9:40, 410F. Dropped the beans at 13:24 with temp of 450F. 2cs surprised me with a few crackles in the cooler. The standard 2 pound roast for me will be at 1cs at 410F but 2c won't start till 460. 16.7% weight loss. I'm hoping this will be pretty good as espresso.
450F was my target.

7/3 - 20 grams of the 6/27 medium dark roast, 335 grams 200 degree water, 4 minutes in bonavita coffee dripper. Grounds smelled of tomato soup. Coffee was ok - pleasant acidity. This is not my favorite coffee. I like a sweeter coffee than I could get at any roast level I tried. I'm looking forward to the July coffee.

7/5 - I got pretty much the roast I was looking for today. 1cs at 8:25. stopped the roast at 10:22. I actually intended to go only 1:30 past 1cs but at 9:55 I was getting a very slow BT rise so I let it go a little longer. This looks like a very nice City+ roast. And it was 23 degrees past 1cs for the BT. I was surprised that it was only 11% weight loss. I'll try this in a few days. I think it smells fruitier than any prior roasts so I have high hopes.

7/8 - Brewing the last roast - the stewed tomatoes are gone at last. 25 grams in Bonavita immersion drip with 400 grams of 198 degree water. This is tea. The acidity is bergamot. I'm done with this coffee after today. I'm taking the left over to a group meeting. They seldom know what they're drinking. On to the Yemens for July.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#22: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:I grabbed a lb along with a lb of two of their Yemens. The Yemens I have had my eye on at the broker's still haven't shipped <audible groan...>.
Have you had a chance to fire this up yet (the Ethiopian)?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Boldjava

#23: Post by Boldjava replying to TomC »

No, been busy roasting samples for buys as well as gardening. Came last week. Will fire up the roaster today and offer to our Gopher Gulpers during this weekend's events. Get-Together: Twin Cities, MN, June 13-15

We lucked out. The Cups of Excellence cuppings run every Friday at the broker's this month. We are doing the 1st flight of Hondurans on Friday. Fun. (Got crushed on two beans we were bidding on in the El Salvador auction yesterday.) #14 was a honey pacamara and #20a was a beautifully complex Bourbon. http://www.allianceforcoffeeexcellence. ... n-results/.

Oh, PS. 4 Yemenis on the water. Hoot! Will use the two Yemenis from SM as control coffees during cupping.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

Intrepid510

#24: Post by Intrepid510 »

Behmor P1 1lb setting with a charge of 227 g. First crack at 11 minutes. Wait 15 seconds to let the first crack roll a little bit, and open door for 10 seconds, wait 45 s, open again for 10 s. Drop at 13.5 minutes.

Behmor P1 1lb setting with a charge of 227 g. First crack at 11.25 minutes. Wait 15 seconds to let the first crack roll a little bit, and open door for 15 seconds, wait 45 s, open again for 10 s. Drop at 13 minutes.

Both roasts had a similar taste to them, a slight sweet fruit flavor and then a baker's chocolate finish.

Nothing really to write home about, and have not been liking the lack of sweetness that I have been getting with roast. I am going to have to try something different with my next attempt. I think I would like to drop them a little sooner to keep some of the fruit taste from moving to coco.
=================================================================
Second go. Behmor P1 1lb setting with a charge of 227 g. 2 inch block under the front of the Behmor. First Crack at 10 minutes. Open door for 15s at 45 s into first crack and then for 15 s 1:30 in crack. And then hit cool at total time for roast 11m 45s.

Was out of coffee, so I gave it go this morning in the V60 12 hours post roast. Much better. Same general tastes, but sweeter. Bakers chocolate is now semi-sweet. Looking forward to how it develops.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#25: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I'll likely re-profile this bean tonight following my second profile with a lower ET and longer charge temp. I'm going to charge it 10° lower and stretch the drying phase just a tad longer and see what that does. This really was an impressive washed Ethiopian that had a lot to reveal in the cup. And it was a welcome detour from a lot of last years very lemony citrus focused Ethiopians.

SAS
Supporter ❤

#26: Post by SAS »

Lurk and Learn
My first roast of the June bean.

I'm still learning the roaster and can't controll the roast as well as I hope to be able to in the future, but I got good results in my cupping.

Dry Aroma, slightly fruity; Wet Aroma, not much; Flavor, tropical fruit and chocolate; After Taste, tropical fruit and narcissa; Smooth Mouth Feel; I wanted to drink the whole cup it was so pleasant.
I can't wait to rest this and then try it again.

My BT temp isn't really close to being precise. I just stuck an old K-couple in the viewing port bolt hole and I think it got mashed down and wasn't really recording BT well. See the 18 second TP :?: 1Cs at 375 :?:
I've got to replace the BT probe in the stock location with something that will give me a better reading.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

jerbear00

#27: Post by jerbear00 »

Who is setting up for July? Wouldn't mind joining this esteemed group :)

johnny4lsu

#28: Post by johnny4lsu »

Same here.. Hope to join you guys and learn.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#29: Post by TomC (original poster) »

jerbear00 wrote:Who is setting up for July? Wouldn't mind joining this esteemed group :)

Anyone can join and are encouraged to share. The only requirment of who picks the beans and leads the discussion is that they have basic skills as a roaster and ability to assess a roast accurately and can share that in plain English with the rest of the group. While it wasn't started out with intentions of being me or Dave (BoldJava), etc choosing who'd be the one to lead the discussion/pick the bean of the month, it seemed to have naturally evolved into that.it.

It helps the group who's learning (hint:we all are) if the person who's leading the discussion is someone considered a skilled, experienced roaster, so short of volunteers showing interest in leading the discussion, Dave and I behind the scenes have coordinated to pick who's going to run each month. With all that said, folks are free to PM me with interest, and a decision will be announced before the end of the month. Ed (Farmroast) has some great stuff, education wise, and he was talking to our group, if you can call it that, about being excited about upcoming months with better offerings.

The only mandatory thing that seems to snare up some, is that they have to be available on the forums to answer both questions posted in the thread, or handle the several dozens of PM's you'll get by shy new roasters who don't want to ask a question publicly, and fear looking like "newbies" or something. That happens a lot.

And this whole setup is more about sharing knowledge and experience in roasting, not who's leading it, so if folks are so inclined, start throwing out suggestions for a reasonably priced green (preferably under $8/lb) and we can let democracy determine what we roast. Who heads up the discussion isn't the focus, the coffee is.

Some folks are busy, but I'd like to see a fresh face handle the task, Sherman Chang, Hankua, Farmroast, EndlessCycles, Dustin360, and Rama immediately come to mind as great roasters. Maybe we can poke and prod one of them into jumping in the saddle.

That or everyone should endlessly PM Jim Schulman and ask him, until he caves in :mrgreen: But I know he's going to be busy in July, with his lecture coming up at CoffeeCon here in SF.

And I'm only partially kidding about everyone filling up Jim's inbox. Please dont do that :wink:

MrPootywinkle

#30: Post by MrPootywinkle »

New to the forum and am not familiar with how it's set up. I would like to participate in the July Roast & Post - does it launch a specific day, do we just keep checking back, or is there a group setting that notifies? Thanks,
Erik