Roast and Learn Together - July 2014

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Dave has a great idea about using July as a month to test our blending skills with one particular coffee using melange roasts.

We'll be using a Yemen from Sweet Maria's. I look forward to playing around with this coffee. Dave will take the lead and it will be a simple shared month. This will be a fun challenge for all roasters and will deliver tips for those curious about brewed roasts versus espresso focused roasts.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Remember in your July posts. Tie a ribbon around them and consolidate this info into one, final post.
1. Equipment
2. Roasting profile
3. Cupping/evaluation

Well, the proverbial camel crept out of the bag. Yemen Ismali it be. (http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/coffee ... maili.html). Though certainly not required, grab the Yemen Sharasi as well (http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/coffee ... arasi.html). I will warn you, I have never met a Yemen I didn't like.

Even if you don't care for Yemen, join us. TomO has the Ismali roasted 7 ways from Sunday (reference his notes). What I am interested in is melange: "With Ismaili it's fun to try a melange of 1/3 City+ roast and 2/3 FC or FC+ roast, either for drip or espresso."

Never played with melanges but I will this month. As well, if you wish to blend a Red Sea blend (Yemen, a WP Eth and a natural Eth), give it a whirl. I am going to. See who can come up with the killer blend.

Blends are NOT as easy as it sounds. Quantity, roast level(s) are quite the challenge. Simpler is better.

-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
MrPootywinkle

#3: Post by MrPootywinkle »

This will be an interesting first jump into the mix. I've wanted to try a melange but have only been roasting for @ 6 months and the first couple hundred have been eye opening. Just curious what you mean by tie a ribbon around the post? Is there a specific setting or do you just mean include all the relevant information in one post?
Thanks,
Erik

...and Dave - I'm loving the SF-1 as well. Started with a modified whirley pop so it was a huge leap forward :D

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

MrPootywinkle wrote:... Is there a specific setting or do you just mean include all the relevant information in one post?
Yes, all the relevant information in one post - consolidate it after completion. Makes it easier to read. Lots of templates out there; just page through a month.
-----
LMWDP #339

jerbear00

#5: Post by jerbear00 »

This will be a lot of fun! I am only 4 roasts into the new gas roaster but I am looking forward to it!

Boldjava

#6: Post by Boldjava »

jerbear00 wrote:This will be a lot of fun! I am only 4 roasts into gas but I am looking forward to it!
You new guys are bringing the big guns at us with the San Fran and the North gas roasters. Outgunned...
-----
LMWDP #339

johnny4lsu

#7: Post by johnny4lsu »

Looking forward to joining y'all!

Advertisement
[creative nickname]

#8: Post by [creative nickname] »

This will be my first time roasting a Yemen. Looking forward to it!
LMWDP #435

MrPootywinkle

#9: Post by MrPootywinkle »

Boldjava wrote:You new guys are bringing the big guns at us with the San Fran and the North gas roasters. Outgunned...
Ha! I'm a pro photographer and people always look at my setup and say "if I had a camera like that I could take great pictures." Sometimes I want to hand them the camera and say go for it...

I'm sure an excellent roaster with an iron skillet would put me to shame. And if that person happens to be located near Silverlake and wants to come over and roast on the SF let me know ;)

ChrisR

#10: Post by ChrisR »

I actually roasted some of this coffee last week. I had never roasted anything from Yemen before and it was quite an interesting experience. This coffee took forever to get going. I used the same profile I used for the DP Yirgacheffe Aricha and I did not reach 300 degrees until 7:44, while the Aricha was there at 5:45. I don't have any logging set up for the SF-1 yet, and do not have my notes handy but if I recall correctly the rest of the roast went pretty much as expected, dropped at ~1:45 after 1st. Despite the incredibly long drying phase I found the coffee quite nice. Very fruited, banana, tropical fruit, a small amount of "funk" on the finish (a friend called it "brie cheese rind"). I still have a lb of it left and I plan on trying to set up some data logging software for the San Franciscan so I can post something up once I roast it.