Roast and Learn Together - General Discussion - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
[creative nickname]

#61: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'm in for at least 5 pounds as well!
LMWDP #435

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#62: Post by JavaMD »

I'll take at least 5 pounds ... count me in ...

Steve

Advertisement
espressojr
Supporter ♡

#63: Post by espressojr »

i'd be in for 5lbs...

Boldjava (original poster)

#64: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Dregs wrote:I have bought geshas before and never thought I got the full potential from the bean...

Dregs
I have found Geshas best if I roast them a bit lighter than I typically roast (C+/FC-) and give them longer rest (6-8 days). I always experiment with about 10-12 seconds different lengths on roast and confess to earlier cuppings. Time resting is different than with most roasts.
-----
LMWDP #339

UseIt4Toddy

#65: Post by UseIt4Toddy replying to Boldjava »

Agreed on all counts, but I've found in my experience that the other-worldly aroma these coffees are capable of falls off quite quickly. Flavors more complex and integrated often with bigger sweetness at 7-8 days certainly. I've just never found the aroma to fare as well. Truth be told, I've only roasted about 5-7 pounds of geshas, so I'm perfectly willing to accept that it's just me. Would be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this. Cheers,

Dregs

#66: Post by Dregs »

Boldjava wrote:I have found Geshas best if I roast them a bit lighter than I typically roast (C+/FC-) and give them longer rest (6-8 days). I always experiment with about 10-12 seconds different lengths on roast and confess to earlier cuppings. Time resting is different than with most roasts.
I have done the same. When I get it right, the fragrance (smell of the ground coffee when still dry) is amazing, but I never seem to get that level of perfection in the cup.

I know it is possible. I sampled a Colombian gesha at the SCAA event in Houston in 2011 that became my white whale of coffee that I continue to pursue. I am looking forward to throwing a harpoon at the bean for the Roast and Learn.

Dregs

genecounts

#67: Post by genecounts »

In for 5# for sure. Looking forward to the discussion.

Advertisement
ChrisR

#68: Post by ChrisR »

I've never roasted a Gesha, and a true Ethiopian Gesha sounds like a great place to start. I would be in for 5 lb.

LDT

#69: Post by LDT »

If the deal comes together, I'll take 5 pounds.