Roast and Learn Together - General Discussion - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Italyhound

#11: Post by Italyhound »

Count me in.
@evshack on Twitter

espressojr
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by espressojr »

love the idea! i'd be up for it- just need to figure out a good roasting situation for the winter.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
popeye

#13: Post by popeye »

I also like this idea, but here's one problem we're gonna have to tackle: a common language.

If we use times and temps (which i think most of us prefer) that's nice and specific, but really only works well for the model of roaster used. As you get further away from that roaster, it becomes less and less useful. What i use on an IR-7 won't be that useful for a behmor, and will be almost useless to any type of fluid-bed.

So does that leave us with "generalities" or "shorter/longer" - i.e. a shorter drying time than average, with a long first ramp, etc?

Maybe i shouldn't be trying to answer the question, but just ask it. What's the best way to communicate roast parameters between guys with different roasters? (should this be a new thread?)
Spencer Weber

Boldjava (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

popeye wrote:...

Maybe i shouldn't be trying to answer the question, but just ask it. What's the best way to communicate roast parameters between guys with different roasters? (should this be a new thread?)
Knew this would come up -- please keep it here rather than new thread. It is part of learning together.

We will use the best language we have at our disposal. I would hate to see this become a discussion just among those roasting on Ambex, San Frans, Topers, etc. Let's not get stuck here. I use a Gene and the discussion among those using drums are learning points for me (I will be on a large commercial Probat this week at Dogwood Coffee). Likewise, we wish to have the Behmor boyz, the Hottop folks, the RKs, etc in on this. They will use the language available to them.

Let's learn from one another. We can spell out a definition list as time goes by via consensus, ie, bean mass temp, "ramp," BTUs, ET, etc so that we have as common a language as possible but our profiling will be stated radically differently when posting Behmor vs Diedrich -- to be expected.

Thanks for raising the question.
-----
LMWDP #339

Dregs

#15: Post by Dregs »

I would like to participate in this collaborative endeavor.

I am new to this forum, but not totally new to roasting. My log is approaching 600 roasts on my hacked Behmor, and I was in process of perfecting a Dream Machine style roaster (many thanks to farmroast) when the opportunity to jump into the TJ-067 buy arose. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

So, I have lots of learning to do and, I hope, some experience to contribute.

Dregs

smite

#16: Post by smite »

Count me in. This sounds like fun. I may also be able to add in some green (not for profit) options if interested.

germantown rob

#17: Post by germantown rob »

popeye wrote:
Good point. I used to think roasters used to keep their profiles secret, now I realize that identical roasters in different environments will produce different results with exact In puts. Roasting at 7000 feet is very different then roasting at sea level. Even still this allows us to discuse basic phases of the roast to see what can be coaxed flavor wise out of the same bean. Roasts on my HT that are similar to roasts on my Diedrich are two minutes longer yet the end result can be very similar.

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
MSH

#18: Post by MSH »

Love the idea. Thanks for initiating Dave! I have said it time and time again..although I have gained a lot of roasting knowledge from a variety of sources this forum has easily been the most important resource for me. So many talented and knowledgeable folks to learn from and bounce ideas off of.

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by JavaMD »

Would love to join in on this venture .. I'm in a bit of flux as I have one of Dustin's roasters hopefully arriving next month so will switch from a Gene Café to a propane fired "traditional" 1/2 pound roaster (Revolution 500 is what I think it is called). It should be configured to be able to plug into Artisan on my computer ... so I have lots to learn.

Bold Java ... would also like to get in on a good Yemen next offering ... sometimes by the time I find out ... it is gone.

Steve

Boldjava (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

JavaMD wrote:...
Bold Java ... would also like to get in on a good Yemen next offering ... sometimes by the time I find out ... it is gone.

Steve
I walk a tenuous tightrope. Judging demand is always tricky with homeroasters. That is posed against a broker's every changing inventory. Can't sit on 120 kilos of greens. PM me if you don't know how to stay abreast of the curve.
-----
LMWDP #339