Roast and Learn Together - February 2014 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
rgrosz (original poster)

#11: Post by rgrosz (original poster) »

Roaster - Hottop B-2K with variac

ROAST #1
I targeted a drop at 2:30 after start of first crack
Charge weight 182g
Charge temp ET 300 F  
Turn point     1:03 - 167 F
First crack    8:25 - 354 F
Drop          10:56 - 384 F
Yield         157g
Weight loss   13.7%
Quakers - none
NOTE - my thermocouples read 30 degrees lower than most others. As noted in this post at Sweet Maria's, I have virtually identical readings as Barrie. We both have identical Omega probes installed in the same location on our Hottops.

Evaluation
Brewed this in the Technivorm, 4 days post roast. It tastes exactly like other Kenyans I have roasted / tasted.

Not sure what to change next time around. Definitely don't want to go any darker on this - has just enough Kenyan acidity and fruit to be interesting.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

tamarian

#12: Post by tamarian »

Pulled it as espresso today and it was very good. Sweet lemonade. I' think I can tweak it better by going a bit faster and lighter. This reminds me of Kenya Lenana 2 years ago where it made me appreciate strong acidity, if matched with equal sweetness.

I didn't like it on immersion, will try again with lighter roast.

johnlyn

#13: Post by johnlyn »

Roast: Behemor, 12 oz charges, this way I can slow the ramp and get more volume of product. The 8 oz thing is bugging me. I wanted to go with development and simply change times pst 1C.

R1 - 1CS 12:50, 1CE 14:10, Dump 14:40
R2 - 1CS 12:30, 1CE 13:30, Dump 14:40

Cupping:Roasting on the weekend sucks for being able to find time to cup in the morning, So cupping has taken place 7 days post roast. In the meantime I both brewed and pulled shots with great results.

R1 and R2:You know what, with 30 sec and 1:10 min post 1CE times and exactly the same dump times, these coffees taste practically the same. R2 is just slightly deeper, but I don't know that I would have identified that if I had cupped blind.

The aroma is fresh and fragrant with promise of acidic floral/fruit notes. Mouth feel is rich, really rich without being oily. The overall balance is perfect, nothing tastes out of place. Flavour... all right bear with me, I'm going out on a limb. I will mellow chocolate caramel with cucumber (I'll have to try that as a desert/appie some day). I am typing this as I just finished cupping and I am noticing that the after taste is a clean coating of the palate with a slight buttery feel/flavour (probably from the mellow caramel).

Brewed this week the differences came out more (Bonavita drip). I would say that R1 presented more acidic notes, but I was unable to take the time to taste and name them. R2's were mellowed.

Shots: So far, more acidic notes than sweet ones, and the acid note is not turning into a particular flavour that i can identify yet. The after taste is somewhat buttery .

As a side note, you know what I like about cupping? you feel pretentious doing it, but it is the only side to side way of noting differences. But it's cowboy coffee!!! We evaluate coffee cowboy style. Now I have this image of bean buyers traveling countries on horseback, roasting over an open flame and tasting via a good old fashion cowboy cup.

Enjoy the weekend y'all...

johnlyn

#14: Post by johnlyn »

Shots this morning on R2 had a more floral/tea quality..... etrange. Tight shot, long pour though. I'll loosen it up see what happens.

johnlyn

#15: Post by johnlyn »

OK, so I am the only one posting, but it is still early in the month...

Yesterday I roasted another 12 oz batch, to recreate R2. sitting in the freezer we'll see how I did later.

Today is "Mistake Day"! I thought I would put a 12 oz batch in and go 1/2 lb to answer the question empirically as to whether it will ramp faster. Well, I discovered that I could not add as much extra time as I thought I could and I only had 40 secs left of max time when 1C finally started. This means that 1C arrived maybe 20 secs earlier, so, not really. Then I had the really bright idea to turn it off when cooling started to allow 1C to continue, it did, then i heard extra snaps reminiscent of 2nd crack when it occurred to me " uhhhh, the drum is stationary.... :oops: ". Well sometimes "mistakes" lead to discoveries. Maybe I have created an in roaster melange? or maybe I just learned that I should research any brilliant plans I may have. Time to pull another shot....

Boldjava
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Boldjava »

johnlyn wrote:OK, so I am the only one posting, but it is still early in the month...

...Then I had the really bright idea to turn it off when cooling started to allow 1C to continue, it did, then i heard extra snaps reminiscent of 2nd crack when it occurred to me " uhhhh, the drum is stationary....
I love pooching tales. So many fear to report their misadventures.
-----
LMWDP #339

TomC
Team HB

#17: Post by TomC »

johnlyn wrote:OK, so I am the only one posting, but it is still early in the month...

Give it a bit of time, more of us will jump in. I think it's great coffee. I didn't stockpile it, but I have enough to profile a few. My first batch of it was quite impressive. I'll likely do another in a few days.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

pShoe

#18: Post by pShoe »

Roaster: Quest M3
Batch Size: 120g

Two batches were roasted tonight. Both were roasted to a city+. Really only happy with one of them.

Roast 1: City+ Weight lost 14.5%

Link to artisan file: Kenya Muthuthiini (Moot-hoot-cheeny) Peaberry 120G 160C 6A

First time roasting at this batch size, so it was more or less a stab in the dark. The charge temp and power set to 6A worked well. I steadily increased fan and power setting after drying, but never passed 7.5 leading up to first crack. Around first crack I cranked the fan, which in retrospect was not needed. That maneuver can be helpful if MET needs to be reined in going into first, but that was not the case here. So why did I do it? I'm not sure, and it potentially ruined a roast that was progressing nicely. The fan tanked the momentum, so I had to go full throttle to salvage the roast. Last minute dances and swings toward the end of the roast are never fun.

Roast Two: City+ Weight lost 14.2%

Link to artisan file: Kenya Muthuthiini (Moot-hoot-cheeny) Peaberry 120G 160C 7A

Same routine as above but with a higher initial power setting of 7A. I also let it ride at that setting though out the roast, and used less airflow till the end of the roast. I was trying to use Rich's profiling in the first attempt, and determined I need a little more heat the second go around. This roast is pretty in-line with Rich's, so goal accomplish.

TomC
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC »

Here's what my first profile looked like.

Kenya Muthuthini Peaberry: 160g on the Quest M3, a rather high 15% moisture loss which doesn't surprised me.

A dense, Kenya, which happens to be a peaberry spells hotter charge, slightly drawn out drying phase for me to ensure a roast that fully develops without getting scorchy or run long. It pays it's dividends by allowing a fast ramp and short finish, keeping it's amazing cultivar characteristics. It's a very heat "tolerant" bean. You normally wouldn't see me running that aggressive of an end period of the ramp on any less dense or hard peaberry type coffee.

You can't see my ET's on the graph, but I'll likely be switching around the way I display things for ease of sharing.

I liked what I ended up with and will follow along to see what others are getting before I make any changes.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

pShoe

#20: Post by pShoe »

Tom, what was the main contributing factor to end your roast (time, temp, sense)?