Roast and Learn Together - August 2015

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

Very exciting news for August's Roast and Learn Together!

July was a bit of a dud, (I've just got too many irons in the fire, I've only roasted it once) but I'm stoked to announce that Dave Borton and the whole Mill City Roasters team is going to head up August both with a bean selection and a roast dialogue, video presentation by Joe Marocco as well. I'm going to save the spoiler on the bean for them to announce. Keep an eye our for any of their announcements in the Marketplace forum, but they'll be given full rein here to lead the discussion.

Exciting stuff. Folks, make sure to share you appreciation for the participation of guys like Marocco. We all win when we get folks like him adding to the forum's knowledge base.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

hipporun

#3: Post by hipporun »

Geez, this is going to be a good month :D Great to have millcityroasters leading the charge.

billsey

#4: Post by billsey »

Still haven't figured out July, but I'm game for a geisha. :)

day

#5: Post by day »

Hehe if it's the geisha I will have to join this one and jump in tonight ... if it's the cheap one anyway ;)

Is that what this means Tom
TomC wrote:Light your fires
I assume but dang it I am leaving out of town for a week on Saturday and don't want then sitting in the mailbox for a whole week....

Edit: order placed.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

millcityroasters

#6: Post by millcityroasters »

Streaming Geisha roasting on Huky any second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1uMv2l_p5k

hipporun

#7: Post by hipporun »

Well, I guess I'll kick it off...

First, for some details:
-Charging 250g
-Roaster: Huky 500, 72RPM, solid drum.

TP was a bit higher than millcity hit in the stream, that may be something to play with. I do not think it hurt the roast, still a softer drying stage and did not have too much momentum thru roast.

I was not sure how far to take this bean or a Geisha in general, dropped a bit after FC end, 415F BT. I was suprised to find this led to a 14.7% weight loss, I think next roast I'll drop right when FC ends for a more city roast.

In three days I will cup next to a Brazilian I also roasted today. Four days and I'll brew as espresso.

Boldjava

#8: Post by Boldjava »

I will roast again in the morning, two roasts as Joe did.

I enjoyed the sample roast in a Technivorm for a brewed cup. I am still working on understanding crossover; how well a coffee performs in an espresso when I have just had it as a brewed cup. I am not sure this will be a standout as an espresso. Don't want to get ahead of myself.

Loved Joe's expression that the "drying phase" is better understood as the first "endothermic phase." Low temp and low air permits the water in the bean to thoroughly warm the inside and outside of the bean to the same temp so that the next phase can properly heat the entire bean rather than just scalding the outer portion. Someone (Steve?) expressed it as bathing the bean in heat. Joe expressed it well and it was helpful for cementing that aspect in my mind.
-----
LMWDP #339

hipporun

#9: Post by hipporun »

Boldjava wrote:I will roast again in the morning, two roasts as Joe did.

I enjoyed the sample roast in a Technivorm for a brewed cup. I am still working on understanding crossover; how well a coffee performs in an espresso when I have just had it as a brewed cup. I am not sure this will be a standout as an espresso. Don't want to get ahead of myself.

Loved Joe's expression that the "drying phase" is better understood as the first "exothermic phase." Low temp and low air permits the water in the bean to thoroughly warm the inside and outside of the bean to the same temp so that the next phase can properly heat the entire bean rather than just scalding the outer portion. Someone (Steve?) expressed it as bathing the bean in heat. Joe expressed it well and it was helpful for cementing that aspect in my mind.
Unfortunately, I do not have any brewing gear at my disposal at the moment besides espresso, chemex broke and haven't yet replaced it. I think for now I'll stick to one roast, cup it, and as the thread evolves some more next time I roast do 2 or 3 different roasts. In the meantime, I'll get my chemex replaced.

day

#10: Post by day »

Hehe seriously consider A siphone...loving it now.

Surprised there isn't more action on this thread...people not in this month or just not developed yet?
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone