Roast and Learn Together - August 2015 - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
hipporun

#21: Post by hipporun »

Boldjava wrote:Nick and I are taking it home this weekend, each of us to pull shots on our levers.

DB
I think it could have used a slightly tighter grind, but I still got some funky channeling. Must have been the grind, I'm sure my distribution and tamping is all good.

EDIT: Just tightened the grind and pulled another shot. Mostly cleared up the channeling, still pulling a bit funky. Very bright shot.

Andy

#22: Post by Andy »

I roasted 2 batches (150g in modified Popper) on the 27th and brewed yesterday and today in Aeropress.
12 minute roast, dropped 3:12 after 1Cs, 414°F.
10 minutes, dropped 3:15 after 1Cs, 432°F.

Based on the descriptions I've read, I wasn't sure I would like this coffee. I think of lime-like acidity as being harsh, but here the lime comes through in the fragrance. The acidity is there, for sure, but it is well balanced by sweetness. In the end I preferred my longer, lighter roast for the complexity, although the darker roast had a pleasant walnut bitterness.

Boldjava

#23: Post by Boldjava »

Shot: Cremina
5 days rest
15.5g in, 21g and moved glass
Nice crema.
Dark walnut, bit of licorice and molasses. Lime/citric note is hidden way in the background. Will try as a cortado in the morning.
Roast seems too dark.

This was the first plus 3:00, just first snaps of second.

SHOT: Too long for this bean/prep. Will grab the shorter roast from the shop next week and try it.
CORTADO: Scrumptuous as a cortado as the shot's sweetness melds with the lactose to a coffee without roast characteristics, just the slight hint of lime in retros/rear of palate, and a soft acidity.

Meantime, the rest of this 3:00 roast will go into the Espro, the press pot, and a stovetop to see how it fares.
-----
LMWDP #339

millcityroasters

#24: Post by millcityroasters »

Boldjava wrote: Will grab the shorter roast from the shop next week and try it.
Too bad. I took it home for Mom this weekend. :oops:

Boldjava

#25: Post by Boldjava »

millcityroasters wrote:...

Too bad. I took it home for Mom this weekend. :oops:
You probably grabbed the pourover bag. Nick and I split the bag for espresso. Mom is in good hands.
I can roast more next week now that I have some bookend roasts.
-----
LMWDP #339

hipporun

#26: Post by hipporun »

New roast:
Charged 250g again in my solid drum Huky.

I took a much different approach then my last roast. I wanted to stretch out the Maillard stage much more with lower ROR then drop as soon as I heard the last snap of FC. Hoping I can pull out more of the sweetness.

I was still surprised to find this resulted in 14.4% WL. I'm not worried, this coffee must just have a bunch of water in it :D If I roasted a Natural Ethiopian I'd expect 10-11%.

Andy

#27: Post by Andy »

hipporun wrote: I was still surprised to find this resulted in 14.4% WL.
I was surprised by that, too. My 2 very different profiles each had 14.7% weight loss.

hipporun

#28: Post by hipporun »

Starting to get a hang of this Geisha. Pretty similar to my previous roast except from charge till end I was .5-.75 lower kPa. Drew out Maillard alot, short dev. Dropped beans nearing end of FC, maybe 15 seconds short of end. Great cup via V60. Sweet, floral aroma and zesty acidity. Undertones of walnut.

day

#29: Post by day »

I can finally do a roast tomorrow. I overestimated how much coffee would be consumed on vacation (primarily because the water was so terrible I couldn't even make a drinkable shot...) so had to hold off to not let it grow old. Hate drinking old coffee...
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

day

#30: Post by day »

Well I finally got in my first roast this morning, would have done another one and tried to make some changes but still have a bunch of beans from earlier, as mentioned. Going to do a cupping in a little bit. I am really interested in trying to improve my abilities on my meager set up. I use an "advanced" whirly pop method with a popcorn popper pumping hot air in through the top to keep up air flow and give initial charge without over heating the pot bottom while empty. I have never laid out the data like this...The times are def inconsistent, I may have to make some other changes in my approach to achieve smoother changes and less drops in ROC...should have done this all the time. Overall not unhappy given the limitations, and it looks fantastic and excited to see if the herbal tones come through or if the lime is just mouth puckering :)

Yes, i you per this on an iPhone