Roast and Learn Together - August 2015 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EvanOz85

#11: Post by EvanOz85 »

I will be roasting tonight or tomorrow evening!

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by TomC (original poster) »

day wrote:Hehe seriously consider A siphone...loving it now.

Surprised there isn't more action on this thread...people not in this month or just not developed yet?

Not many even have the beans in hand yet. I announce coffees as early as possible so there's more of the month left over to actually discuss hands-on opinions.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Andy

#13: Post by Andy »

My 5 arrived today. Roasted a couple of batches tonight. I really enjoyed the roasting aromas -- fragrant wood smoke, sandalwood maybe.

Boldjava

#14: Post by Boldjava »

day wrote:...

Surprised there isn't more action on this thread...people not in this month or just not developed yet?
We have had plenty of orders. Give it some time. As well, some members are readers rather than posters and don't comment during the month for a variety of reasons.
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#15: Post by Boldjava »

Will be doing 3 roasts this morning.
* Brazil/Geisha pre-blend, 50/50 for espresso. Detailed below.
* Geisha for espresso use
* Geisha for pourover use

Brazil/Geisha pre-blend, 50/50.
I like to keep the incoming air temp at 500 and below so that I am roasting, not toasting the bean.
At just 400g, I am much more attentive to sight, smell and time as the BT probe isn't always in contact with mass.

Will ask Steve/Nick to try in the shop this weekend and I will run at it on the Cremina this weekend:

* Charge, 400 grams total
* Charge temp: 400*F
* Gas off, 90 seconds with low air
* 1st crack: ~8:00
* Drop: ~11:00
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#16: Post by Boldjava »

Charge: 1K
Drop temp: 410*F
Use: Pourover

Just a long, lazy roast. Original intent was espresso but lost a handle on the temp during last 45 seconds. As such, chalked it up to operator error <inhales with humility sigh> and want to see if indeed that last 45 seconds took the charm out of the coffee.

Will evaluate Friday.

-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#17: Post by Boldjava »

I need to take a look at settings on this. We updated Artisan and while at one point I bounced off zero on ROR, it wasn't as dramatic or prolonged as the graph represents. My temps weren't tumbling that hard. Might be in the interval setting.

Charge: 600g
Charge temp: 400*F
First Crack: 9:42
Drop: 12:48
Full city. Just a couple of 2nd snaps in cooler.

Espresso time.

-----
LMWDP #339

hipporun

#18: Post by hipporun »

hipporun wrote:Well, I guess I'll kick it off...

First, for some details:
-Charging 250g
-Roaster: Huky 500, 72RPM, solid drum.

<image>

TP was a bit higher than millcity hit in the stream, that may be something to play with. I do not think it hurt the roast, still a softer drying stage and did not have too much momentum thru roast.

I was not sure how far to take this bean or a Geisha in general, dropped a bit after FC end, 415F BT. I was suprised to find this led to a 14.7% weight loss, I think next roast I'll drop right when FC ends for a more city roast.

In three days I will cup next to a Brazilian I also roasted today. Four days and I'll brew as espresso.

Ok, I got too exited and cupped one day early. I'll probably cup this batch one more time 5 days out of roast.
My secondary coffee in the cupping (Brazil Chapadao De Ferro) ended up being mostly neglected as it was roasted too dark. It was not a standout coffee to begin with.

Details: I used 7g to 120g coffee. Water just under 200F. It was setup to be blind but from the first taste I knew which was which, so not exactly blind.

Dry fragrance and unbroken crust did not stand out. They were pleasant, but not very intense. Breaking the crust released some pleasant floral aromas with undertones of lime.

9 minutes post pour- Very nice and pleasant acidity- citric lime and light grapefruit. Semi lingering aftertaste but it was nice. No bitterness and medium sweetness.

15 minutes post pour- Acidity has intensified, very lively and citric, very refreshing. Pleasant flavor but at this temperature it is masked by the acidity, I'm not the one to complain about this. (I greatly enjoy this type of strong acidity) Lemony zest on back and sides of tongue. Still no bitterness and medium/low sweetness.

Approaching lukewarm- Now starting to notice hints of white wine, other than that very similar to 15 minute notes.

I definitely think I can improve this by roasting it differently- Higher drop temp to get thru the "drying" (endothermic as we are now calling it :D ) stage so I can get a much lower ROR and extend the Maillard and Developing stages- more so Maillard. Also I want to drop it much sooner, after the last snap of FC. I think some of the sweetness was lost due to the more C+ roast I did.

hipporun

#19: Post by hipporun »

Just brewed as espresso. As expected, not great. Bit too bright, weird extraction ect. Exited to try on V60 though.

Boldjava

#20: Post by Boldjava replying to hipporun »

Nick and I are taking it home this weekend, each of us to pull shots on our levers.

DB
-----
LMWDP #339