Replacing Gas Valve on 500g North Roaster.

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jfife
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by jfife »

Hi everyone,
The gas-valve solenoid failed on my 500G North roaster for a second time, and Mill City has wisely changed vendors to a new part. The new valve is about 1/2" shorter than the original so some piping changes are required.

Anyone out there installed a valve, and had to find or make short lengths of threaded black iron pipe?
I will need to lengthen the incoming section of pipe that connects to the new valve, OR cut an oval in the roaster case and shift the incoming gas pipe over 1/2" to meet the new valve. I don't presently have equipment to thread iron pipe or experience buying a pre-made threaded stub.
Advice and council is requested.

Present failed gas valve above (Solenoid removed)

Replacement valve is shorter.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Home Depot or most any plumbing shop will cut you a piece of black pipe any length you want or will likely have the already cut to length.

billsey

#3: Post by billsey »

It looks like the ell goes into a reducer using a very short threaded extension, in the green box here:

You just need one a little longer. Your local big box will have them, usually in one inch increments.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Sorry you are having this issue. Did MCR not have any ideas for you? Now I see the prior post. How hard was it to open this up?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

jfife (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by jfife (original poster) »

billsey wrote:It looks like the ell goes into a reducer using a very short threaded extension, in the green box here:
You just need one a little longer. Your local big box will have them, usually in one inch increments.
Bill, Thanks for the tip. I can check the local HoDe and order an assortment of threaded stubs. The new valve is 1/2" pipe and it looks like the two ells are either 3/8" or also 1/2".
J

jfife (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by jfife (original poster) »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Sorry you are having this issue. Did MCR not have any ideas for you? Now I see the prior post. How hard was it to open this up?
I wondered if other MCR 500G owners have replaced this valve and how much gas plumbing is actually needed. MCR shipped out the replacement valve in 24-hours. They emailed me today and asked for more pix of the connections to the gas-gauge and supply-line to the burners. It may be possible to tweak the valve location and minimize refit of sealed connections.
I haven't removed the old valve yet, still gathering plumbing tips and trying to minimize resealing of gas joints.
J