Recommended Sweet Maria's Blends?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
JeffNYC

#1: Post by JeffNYC »

Finishing up Polar Ex presso seasonal blend and have a bit of Moka Kadir and Ethiopiques left but looking to order another 4 (5 pounds each). Will get some more Monkey but curious others recommended to provide a bit of a variety. What should I get for the other 3?

tinroofrusted
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by tinroofrusted »

I recently purchased a pound of SM Altiplano Blend. I roasted it to a medium brown and found that it had some unpleasant high green flavors that I would rather avoid. Next time I roast the Altiplano Blend I will roast it to a darker shade just short of second crack and see how that is.

I also recently purchased some of the Ten Speed Blend but haven't roasted any of that yet.

I do like both the Monkey blend and the Polar Espresso blend. I find I like them both better when they are roasted pretty dark.

Though not a blend, I have really been enjoying the Brazil Pulp Natural Wania Maria, which has a nice well balanced flavor roasted to a dark brown color but short of second crack. I think that is still available and its only 5.95 a pound.

JeffNYC (original poster)

#3: Post by JeffNYC (original poster) »

Thanks. Ordered Monkey, Altiplano, Liquid Amber, and Ten Speed. Should be set for a few months! I roast most Full City, or just into 2nd crack.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mgrayson »

JeffNYC wrote:Finishing up Polar Ex presso seasonal blend and have a bit of Moka Kadir and Ethiopiques left but looking to order another 4 (5 pounds each). Will get some more Monkey but curious others recommended to provide a bit of a variety. What should I get for the other 3?
I was a big fan of the 2021 Polar Ex, but I have had no success with the 2023. How have you found it? Mine has a harsh aftertaste using the same roast profile as the 2021 (I still had some vacuum/freezer stored.)

Matt

JeffNYC (original poster)

#5: Post by JeffNYC (original poster) »

I liked it. Nice chocolate notes, maybe a little spice.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Make your own. Look at their flavor wheel buy a few coffees and experiment.

The reason I usually have 4-5 roasts at home is to experiment with blending.

Over the years my wife has come to love a 50% traditional coffee South or Central American with 50% anaerobic Ethiopian. I experiment with how dark they get roasted but really never past medium, never into second crack for her.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Milligan »

JeffNYC wrote:Thanks. Ordered Monkey, Altiplano, Liquid Amber, and Ten Speed. Should be set for a few months! I roast most Full City, or just into 2nd crack.
The liquid amber is pretty interesting. I took mine to just 2nd crack and rolling second crack. Actually preferred the rolling. One of those only blends I like that dark. I never drink rolling second crack but it was an enjoyable espresso.