Recommended Huky 500 Design Changes?

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Hi Folks:

I'm selling some gear to fund a Huky 500. Joel (slickrock) generously invited me over to look at his Huky and I was impressed. Since then I've been polling some Huky owners I know to see what mods they would recommend to correct some quirks with the roaster. I'm writing this thread to see if there's a consensus on these things, which don't seem to be major issues but could taint a roast. I'm not asking what options to get. Things I've seen/heard:

- Some beans remain in the drum after roast completion. This may be because they get stuck in the vanes that don't extend as far as they should.
- Some beans and chaff can get stuck in the chimney, especially with the tight bend in it.
- The trier doesn't entirely remove. Does this cause any problems or are you all okay with this?

I look forward to your responses so I can ask Mr. Li about them. I understand he is very accommodating. There may be some design tweaks from user experience he would like to hear about anyway.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Italyhound »

Not a huky-er but I do like to read the huky threads. Maybe one day. :D

Fan speed control seems to be something people finagle externally as a workaround. Perhaps that kind of control can be incorporated into the roaster itself.

Sorry to butt in. :mrgreen:

Advertisement
Kfir

#3: Post by Kfir »

Hi Gary.

In the 14 months I've owned my Huky I did not encounter problem number 1.

Regarding the beans in the 'chimney', indeed they are sucked by the powerful fan and few remain after loading the beans because there should be a bigger angle.
If possible you should suggest MR. Lee to change the angle of the pipe.
Anyway it's not a major issue, you loose about 5 grams of coffee each roast.

The trier also should be fitted with an angle so the beans won't fall out when you pull it out.
I got used to watching the roast from the sight glass and a strong light pointed directly at it and I find it quite useful.

Another issue that you didn't mention is a proper exhaust pipe to divert the smoke out.
Currently MR. Lee offers such a mode but with a small diameter (2") flex pipe connected to a stainless steel bowl that attached to the fan.
It adequate for blowing the smoke out but the small diameter of the flex pipe limits the airflow and I think that it's possible to think about a different solution that allows a 4" pipe instead.

I have something that I want to build instead, I need to take measurements and give them to a metal workshop.
I had in mind a stainless steel cube that measures 19x19 cm and 13cm high with a 6.5" hole at the top for mounting the fan in it.
A 4" output port from the side for connecting the flex pipe.

Kfir.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Kfir wrote:Regarding the beans in the 'chimney', indeed they are sucked by the powerful fan and few remain after loading the beans because there should be a bigger angle.
If possible you should suggest MR. Lee to change the angle of the pipe.
Anyway it's not a major issue, you loose about 5 grams of coffee each roast.

Another issue that you didn't mention is a proper exhaust pipe to divert the smoke out.
So, you're saying beans get stuck in the chimney on loading, so the chimney should be angled. You're also saying the diameter of the pipe could be larger so beans don't get sucked into it and so airflow is freer for more efficient use of the fan? Joel tips his roaster back upon loading so beans don't get stuck. That seems to me a design defect that could be easily addressed.
Kfir wrote:The trier also should be fitted with an angle so the beans won't fall out when you pull it out.
That's helpful. And I won't be the only one interested in seeing your exhaust pipe solution.
Gary
LMWDP#308

chris_n

#5: Post by chris_n »

I've just ordered my own Huky 500 and communicated extensively with Mr. Li about the problems you mention.

I'll cover all this stuff in my upcoming comprehensive review, but in short, he's addressed the issue of the beans stuck in elbow and beans flying out of the tester port.

i have not heard any issues of beans getting stuck in the vanes, however. so i'll pay extra attention to that when i'm reviewing the unit!

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Chris:

Can you briefly share what he has done to address those issues? I understand you'll do a more comprehensive review later.
Gary
LMWDP#308

chris_n

#7: Post by chris_n »

drgary: to my understanding, the shape of the bean-drop port has been somewhat changed to limit bean re-entry (and/or retaining the beans upon drop)

also the bean tester port now has a longer 'sheath' instead of just a flush hole with the drum. i'm not sure how this works in practice, but be assured that i'll give it a detailed look when the unit arrives.

Advertisement
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary (original poster) »

This makes me more eager to order. Still need to sell some gear, some of which I'll keep until after the lever fest at my home on 6/15.
Gary
LMWDP#308

chris_n

#9: Post by chris_n »

lever fest! sounds like heaps of fun!

just FYI, my unit has arrived at port los angeles today, so i am hoping it runs through customs quickly and gets delivered sometime this coming week.

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Gary
LMWDP#308