Quest Roaster Handbook Now Online

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Nunas »

We are pleased to advise that the first edition of the Quest Handbook is now available at the following location
https://www.dropbox.com/s/upzbg8u8ktlet ... 1.pdf?dl=0
Comments, errata and suggestions are welcome. Your input may lead to a revised edition, otherwise, I've no plans to change it.

This started life a few years ago as a heavily edited version of the Quest instruction manual for my M3 Mk-2, then grew as I added roasting information and other ideas to it. It struck me that I needed a bigger roaster and now have the M6. By then, I realized that the Quest roasters are more diverse than just the two models M3 and M6. So, I solicited input from the members here at H-B to create this handbook. A lot of redrafting followed.

On behalf of the other contributors and myself, we hope you find it useful.

Note that we've placed this document in the public domain with very few conditions. Please share it as you see fit.

Maurice

Edit: Link updated
★ Helpful

Journeyjava

#2: Post by Journeyjava »

Thank you!

Looking forward to discovering your thoughts and expertise. I've enjoyed my M-6 for 18 months and love this size roaster, it's simplicity and beyond.

davidmetzel

#3: Post by davidmetzel »

Thank you for your hard work, collaboration, and willingness to share this with the rest of us out here roasting on the Quest.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

Journeyjava wrote:Thank you! Looking forward to discovering your thoughts and expertise. I've enjoyed my M-6 for 18 months and love this size roaster, it's simplicity and beyond.
You're welcome! I was a labour of love, not a chore. BTW Since you've had your M6 for a year and a half, I'd really appreciate it if you'd go over the handbook with a fine-tooth comb and identify anything that needs to be changed/added. I've only done three roasts on my M6, and the other collaborators have M3 Quests of one sort or another. Mine came with an ash drawer at the bottom; on either side of that, there are air intake slots. There is no air intake hole at the bottom/back. The blower is off from 0 to nearly 4 on the dial; that was a surprise as I thought that Quest had gone to an always on-blower that went from low to high. The drum has a perforated backplate, which was a surprise too, as Molly said it would be a solid drum machine. It's a totally different roaster from my M3-Mk-2, much twitchier. Perhaps once I get used to it, things will be better. For now, I much preferred my M3. If your M6 is like mine, please share a profile to add to the two in the handbook (they are taken from the Quest info sheet). After only three roasts, I'm quite sure that the M6 is quite different. It could be that there are different M6es, just like the M3 has continuously been changed.

Beanz

#5: Post by Beanz »

That is a great document and provides good infdormation for all Quest owners both new owners and experience operators. Thanks to all concerned for preparing this document.
One point to note is that the links such as "Click Here" are not working I have tried several of them using a phone and laptop and none activate. I am not sure if this is due to the original document or dropbox constraint but it might be worth checking.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

Beanz wrote:One point to note is that the links such as "Click Here" are not working I have tried several of them using a phone and laptop and none activate. I am not sure if this is due to the original document or dropbox constraint but it might be worth checking.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check this out.

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

Rats! It seems the conversion from .doc to .pdf is the culprit. I'll try to figure out how to fix this and re-upload the file. Any advice on how to fix this would be appreciated!

Update: I think it's fixed. I edited the URL at the top of this thread to point to a new file. It seems that exporting with LibreOffice to PDF destroys the URLs. I converted with Adobe, and it should work now. Sorry for any inconvenience :oops:

Journeyjava

#8: Post by Journeyjava »

Nunas,

Sorry for my slow response. I'm not on this forum often.

I love my M-6! The simplicity, intuitive approach, and dependability. My comments are based on 18 months of use, several hundred pounds roasted, with NO MODs. I roast by sight, sound, smell, and a timer along with the stock thermometer .

I just now read through your manual. EXCELLENT! I'll share my process:

Heat on 10.5 amp

Drop depends on batch size. I like 15oz batches. I drop at 350-370 f depending on origin and variety.

No fan until 5 minutes in. "Dry cycle"
Minimal fan 4.5 until first crack.

Turn heat down to 5 at start of first crack. Stretch....

Drop after end of first crack all the way to start of second depending on variety, intended brew methods, and customer desire. I personally like a medium profile for most greens. Gesha, Africans, etc have their own...

I generally roast 4-7 batches each cycle. I will always open up the fan to high 10-15 seconds before drop and after to clear.

I'm anal about keeping her clean especially the exhaust fan. Always clean all chaff between roasts.

I like to "keep it simple Sam!" That's what I love about this roaster. Jim

Nunas (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Nunas (original poster) »

Because of commercial use and copyright issues, we have removed the material in the handbook concerning Artisan. If you have downloaded the previous version, please destroy it and download this one https://www.dropbox.com/s/upzbg8u8ktlet ... 1.pdf?dl=0 Sorry for any inconvenience.

Jonk

#10: Post by Jonk »

Good handbook. Just wondering about this:
Page 11 wrote:Adjustments: When cupping the coffee, make a note of any defects. If it is sour, aim to shorten the roasting time on the next roast using a bit more heat or charging at a higher temperature. If it is bitter, lengthen the roasting time using a bit less heat or charge at a lower temperature.
There are of course a multitude of opinions about roasting, but this is the first time I've read it claimed that shortening the roast time could make the coffee less sour. Could it be a mistake?