Quest M3S Thermocouples

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CKRT

#1: Post by CKRT »

Hey HB, hoping to get some help with adding thermocouples to my Quest as I'd like to track my roasts better than I have been/replicate my good ones. I know about the EricS guide, but was hoping to be pointed at something equivalent as the ones he recommends arent in stock and havent been for awhile.

I'll be using a phidget 1048 to interface with Artisan.

jevenator

#2: Post by jevenator »

Most affordable is just from Mill City Roasters.

If you want custom to fit into alt BT position right next to screen you then need to order custom from Omega. I had this one from Omega "Item#: TJ36-CASS-116G-2-SB"

1/16inch diameter which is thinner than the 2mm probes.

I'd personally just go with MCR since it's 1/3 of the price.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I would get 3MM probes not 2MM due to the noise factor. The price of probes on Phidgets is reasonable especially if you are ordering other items.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

CKRT (original poster)

#4: Post by CKRT (original poster) »

jevenator wrote:Most affordable is just from Mill City Roasters.

If you want custom to fit into alt BT position right next to screen you then need to order custom from Omega. I had this one from Omega "Item#: TJ36-CASS-116G-2-SB"

1/16inch diameter which is thinner than the 2mm probes.

I'd personally just go with MCR since it's 1/3 of the price.
Which of the TCs should I buy from MCR? I'm wanting to track BT and MET for sure, I've read conflicting stuff about how useful tracking ET is if you are tracking MET with the Quest.

jevenator

#5: Post by jevenator »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:I would get 3MM probes not 2MM due to the noise factor. The price of probes on Phidgets is reasonable especially if you are ordering other items.
You get a much faster TP (40 seconds) with a thinner TC and a result faster readings and better understanding of where you are in the beginning on your roast which for a tiny roaster like the Quest M3 benefits from. I didn't find I had any unnecessary noise from my 1/16 probe in ALT BT position where it's submerged right where the beans are being tumbled around.
CKRT wrote:Which of the TCs should I buy from MCR? I'm wanting to track BT and MET for sure, I've read conflicting stuff about how useful tracking ET is if you are tracking MET with the Quest.
I'm not sure in regards to the size. You'll need to bend it for sure since you'll be installing it in the original BT position. There was a post a while back where someone mentioned they got it from MCR I'm sure you find it searching with keywords.

In regards to MET and ET, I honestly was tracking BT and MET myself. I think the MET is a more accurate representation of the power stored in the roaster when figuring out a charge temp BUT your roaster needs to be warmed up fully.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#6: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Simple answer is the 2mm noise offsets the time response which isn't needed in coffee. Read the Artisan blog post called "On Idle Noise".
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

yamhill

#7: Post by yamhill »

If you can stand the wait, AliExpress has lots of options. I'm running some 1.5mm probes with good results -- about $6 each in about 4 weeks.

CKRT (original poster)

#8: Post by CKRT (original poster) replying to yamhill »

Would you mind providing some links? Sounds like 1.5mm might be too noisy and 3mm is the best balance between noise/response time.

MCR said they couldnt provide any kind of concrete answer on which TCs work with the Quest, so that was a (understandable) disappointment.

Beanz

#9: Post by Beanz »

I would suggest 3mm for the BT but 1.5mm for the MET that way you get a smoother response for BT measurements but can track changes on MET faster which allows you to predict and adjust as required. There is a thermocouple manufacturer in Australia who will make custom probes to order and has made sets for Quests and other roasters if you get stuck finding a supplier PM me and I will dig out the contact details

RobertL

#10: Post by RobertL »

Slightly off topic but do most Quest owners use BT, ET and MET? Do you really need both ET and MET? I'm planning on buying a Quest soon and thought I would ask since we're talking about thermocouples.