Quest M3s - sharing my roasting curves and roaster settings

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
lsegeorge

#1: Post by lsegeorge »

My greetings to the group

I am sharing below my artisan roasting curves for anyone who may be interested.I am by no means an expert, the below is just the way I am currently doing things.

I have recently added the event buttons to record my heat and fan setting.Heat settings correspond to Wattage (100 is 1000w, 1050 1050w etc) and fan corresponds to the setting on the Quest dial.
I have a Quest M3s roaster with the stock solid drum.
Probes are 1.5mm with BT installed next to the glass on the "door" and MET installed between the drum and the elements (Eric S setup).
I have cut the capacitor of the fun circuit hence the fan starts around 2 and 8 is the maximum.
The first coffee is a Kenya Chorongi Washed and the second is an Ethiopian Sidamo Washed.I roasted both coffees for drip extraction.
I like my coffees clean and bright.I am fairly happy with my results recently.

I own the roaster for around 5 years.
A couple of years ago I switched to the perforated drum in an effort to get brighter coffee (more convective roasting).
In fact the coffee I was getting with the perforated drum was both more roasty and more green (underdeveloped).
As if the drum was not holding sufficient heat to develop the beans and at the same time was scorching the beans.
This only became apparent after I switched back to the solid drum after the suggestions of Maurice (home-barista "Nunas")
Thank you Maurice for your input on this !!!

Jonk

#2: Post by Jonk »

Could you specify which perforated drum you had? Quest M3 Mods

I was under the impression such high MET could damage the elements, but have you had this method for years without issue?
Batch size and no smoothing would also be of interest :)

lsegeorge (original poster)

#3: Post by lsegeorge (original poster) »

Hey,
I dont think that any of my drums matches the mods thread. See pictures of my two drums below

#4: Post by lsegeorge (original poster) »

These batches are 200gr.
I do 200gr for my filter coffees and 250gr for my espressos.

I have been roasting in a similar manner for years now. My METs have started to shoot to 300+ since cutting the fan capacitor. Haven't experienced any longevity issues.

You will notice that I start with zero fan. Things normalise after the fan goes on but it does take time. Also the placement of probe and the 1.5mm diameter may have something to do with the high readings.

I can try to get no smoothing diagrams once I am behind the roasting laptop.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#5: Post by Peppersass »

When did you buy the perforated drum? I bought one about a year or so ago and it has only the perforated disc in the rear -- no side perforations. I haven't had any problems roasting with it. In fact, I thought it was a distinct improvement over the stock drum.

edgndg
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by edgndg »

Is it just me or are the two graphs exactly the same? I've not tried putting that much heat in... may give it a whirl on my m3s.

#7: Post by lsegeorge (original poster) »

:oops: you are absolutely correct! Now fixed!

#8: Post by lsegeorge (original poster) »

Peppersass wrote:When did you buy the perforated drum? I bought one about a year or so ago and it has only the perforated disc in the rear -- no side perforations. I haven't had any problems roasting with it. In fact, I thought it was a distinct improvement over the stock drum.
I found my emails from the time. It was back in January 2019.
What you are describing seems to be referred to as the Quest M3s drum in the modification thread linked above.