Quest M3 Mods - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#71: Post by FotonDrv »

Assaf, when you "Doubled up on the holes" did you put them between the existing holes or add another row (staggered/offset) from the other row of existing holes?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

AssafL

#72: Post by AssafL »

Increased the diameter....
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

cuppajoe

#73: Post by cuppajoe »

Is the main reason for doing these drum and air intake mods primarily to facilitate lighter roasts?

Thanks
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#74: Post by FotonDrv »

AssafL wrote:Increased the diameter....
Enlarging of the existing holes in the photo? What size (dia.) did you end up with?

UliD

#75: Post by UliD »

TomC wrote:I love it.
OldmatefromOZ wrote:I am very happy with the modification.
AssafL wrote:Love it...
Thanks for your replies! It seems quite clear cut. I'll look for a metal worker. :)
cuppajoe wrote:Is the main reason for doing these drum and air intake mods primarily to facilitate lighter roasts?
Without any modification there seems to be little airflow through the drum of the Quest. For many beans airflow seems to be important in light roasts and I guess it might matter for darker roasts too.

By the way, this is a great forum. I'm quietly reading for some years now and learned a lot (at least I hope so).

happycat

#76: Post by happycat »

Yes looks cool. I like the cheap and cheerful version of the holes around the last inch. I think I'll take my drum on my next visit to my dad who has more drill presses than he has kids.
LMWDP #603

AssafL

#77: Post by AssafL »

FotonDrv wrote:Enlarging of the existing holes in the photo? What size (dia.) did you end up with?
5mm now. It was 3 prior. Remains to be seen that beans don't fall through.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#78: Post by FotonDrv replying to AssafL »

That was what I was thinking and I suspect it would depend on the beans you use. The peaberry size beans would be very different than a robusta.

Have you noticed that the holes add to/increase a better chaff collection?

I have considered removing Quest fan and using a variable speed vacuum with a cyclone chaff collector that all sits detached from the Quest and that would eliminate the maddening Quest Fan Cleaning hassle!

AssafL

#79: Post by AssafL »

A vacuum would be nice. A dyson like cyclon would make a perfect accoutrement to the roaster.

My concern would be the heater power and heater lag (ceramic insulating ferrules make controlling the heater really lag prone). I have two halogen heating tubes I really wanted to stuff into the quest but they are too long. I wonder if they make shorter halogen tubes, it would make a nice upgrade.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#80: Post by FotonDrv »

I do not know what the CFM of the Quest fan is currently nor do I know what would be ideal, but this has a minimum of 50cfm to work properly.

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.as ... F1BB570002}

A variable speed vac will do that easily and I have one of these although the smaller model might be better.
https://www.festoolproducts.com/Festool ... fgodxqcH2A

This is the small model. https://www.festoolproducts.com/Festool ... fgod0_8LHg